Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmcglothan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 01:59 PM
    401(K) vs. ROTH401(K)
    Good afternoon,

Can someone please explain to me the benefits of a ROTH401(k) vs. the traditional 401(k) plan. I am currently enrolled in a traditional 401(K) plan, and considering the thought of moving that money into the ROTH401(k). Please advise;)
    PSUMAN99 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcglothan
    Good afternoon,

Can someone please explain to me the benefits of a ROTH401(k) vs. the traditional 401(k) plan. I am currently enrolled in a traditional 401(K) plan, and considering the thought of moving that money into the ROTH401(k). Please advise;)
    The main difference between the two is when the money going into the account is taxed. A traditional 401(k) is tax-deferred meaning that you don't pay taxes right away. However, when you withdraw the money you will pay taxes on the money as usual.

A Roth401(k) has your money taxed immediately based on your current tax bracket. However, when you withdraw the money you can do so tax free.

Generally, if you are currently in a high tax bracket you are better off with the traditional 401(k) since you will save yourself a lot in taxes now and your future tax rate will likely be lower. If you are in a lower tax bracket now but expect to be in a higher one in the future, the Roth is the way to go because you will be paying a lower tax bill now than you would in the future.

Also, many financial experts believe tax rates in the future will be higher than today to pay for Social Security and Medicare. If that is the case, a Roth will look even better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for my 401 [ 3 Answers ]

I need help if any one has any information to share, I would greatly appreciate. I have money invested in a retirement from a job I worked at about 5+ years ago. Since I quit, the medical clinic has closed it's doors. I can not remember the name of the retirement funds that we used and would...

401 withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to leave my job and I want to close out my 401 and use it in helping me start a small businness. I have about 107.000 in there now how much can I expect to receive after they tax it

401(k) for non-residents [ 1 Answers ]

I'm retiring (62) after 10 years in NY and will become a NRA living in Spain as of 1/1/07. In order to avoid paying taxes on any withdrawal of my 401(k) I am proposing to do a direct rollover to an IRA and then purchase from there an immediate annuity period certain (say 5 years) without, I...

401 k [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a penalty for borrowing on a 401 k?

401 K question [ 2 Answers ]

I will be leaving my employer at the end of the month. I intend to roll over my 401k account to an IRA. If I wished to keep what funds I have contributed this year, do the penalties still apply?

View more questions Search