Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csuire Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2010, 07:26 AM
    What happens when an employee does not notify the employer of a divorce?
    The employee did not notify HR until a year after the divorce. Is the spouse still eligible for Cobra even though the employee did not notify the employer in a timely manner?
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 07:35 AM

Seems like there's a right to cover retroactive payments that the employee was not actually entitled to.

You'll have to find a way to prove the actual date of divorce. If he's not going to do it willingly, it might require a more aggressive approach, starting with a warning letter to a court order.
    csuire Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2010, 08:18 AM
    Comment on I wish's post
    A year later he is requesting to remove her from his policy (we do not charge extra for family coverage)- since he nor his spouse notified the company within 60 days of the event do we still have to provide Cobra to the spouse?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2010, 08:52 AM

Hello c:

I don't know the particular law you're speaking of... However, I DO know how the law works... IF she's eligible for COBRA based on her PRESENT circumstances, then she is. If she's not, then she's not. What you were told or not told makes no difference today. You have been informed as of today, and it's TODAY'S circumstance that rules...

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer Taxes for OPT employee [ 8 Answers ]

I am an employer and have an employee working on OPT. I don't withheld social security and medicare taxes from the employee paycheck. Do I need to pay employer portion of social security and medicare taxes even though I don't withhold these taxes from the employee paycheck? Alsodo I need to...

Can an employer divulge personal employee information to a non employee? [ 14 Answers ]

I was hurt at work and have been off for 6 weeks due to my injury. My question is, can my employer tell a friend of his that I have been off work and hurt, and missing a lot of work?

Employer taxes paid by employee [ 4 Answers ]

Can a company require an employee to pay the employer share of taxes (ie 12.4% for SS, 2.9% for Medicare) for options exercised? It does say in the paperwork that they will do so. If the options are exercised in January and the employee would have matched out at some point later in the year would...

NYC employer and NJ resident employee [ 2 Answers ]

I live in New Jersey and work in New York city. I know that I'm subject to New York STATE income tax. As a ny non-resident, am I also subject to New York CITY income tax?

View more questions Search