Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 21, 2010, 08:21 AM
    Novell's selling could be HUGE for Microsoft & Apple
    As some of you may or maynot know. Novell was bought out. This is potentially HUGE for Microsoft, Apple and other vendors.

Story Headline

As it stands now, Attachmate was only interested in certain aspects of Novell and will sell other pieces to interested Vendors.

My question is this. Who; besides me, would like to see Microsoft buy eDirectory and intigrate into or replace Active Directory?

Lets toss this idea around a little bit!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 21, 2010, 08:24 AM
    This adds another dimension to the deal: Apple, EMC, and Oracle in Novell patent play ? The Register
    Networking Expert

Dec 21, 2010, 08:33 AM

"Attachmate is not selling off the copyrights to Unix that Novell currently controls"
    I bet Apple is pi$$ed. :D

Curlyben: Have you used eDir before?
    Networking Expert

Dec 21, 2010, 10:52 AM

I know this isn't on the topic in the title but I just installed Citrix Online Receiver for the Ipad and its amazing.

Running Windows virtually on an Ipad is so... weird. I'll post a picture later because the mere site of this is funny!

Attachmate buying Novell for $2.2 billion with $450 million most likely coming from Microsoft. Hmmm... eDir here we come?!
    Networking Expert

Dec 21, 2010, 06:03 PM
    This is funny. (to me anyways)
    Attached Images

cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 21, 2010, 07:56 PM

And I remember when Novell was a leader in Networking technology before the days of Cisco. Sheesh.
    Networking Expert

Dec 21, 2010, 08:19 PM

Well when I first heard about this I figutred Apple would target UNIX and Microsoft would go for eDir and their App Distro Clients but by the sounds of it SUSE is staying as it's own business and continuing to do the UNIX portion. Unsure about whether eDir was being sold or being kept! It will be exciting.

Mark my words. IF Microsoft ends up with eDirectory. That; my friends, is a game changer. No more domain login, no more Domain Controllers, no forest, tree, leaf nonsense etc... even if they integrate parts of eDirectory into AD it will be a HUGE improvement!
    Networking Expert

Dec 21, 2010, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    And I remember when Novell was a leader in Networking technology before the days of Cisco. Sheesh.
    I am willing to bet I am younger then you because I don't remember that ;)
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Dec 22, 2010, 08:54 AM
    It has gotten to the point where Novell has little aside from the UNIX code and SUSI enterprise so the real thing that was sold is SLED. There networking stuff died with Win 98 when better networking support was built into Win XP. SUSI is nice but Redhat has made huge progress in the for sale Linux market and Debian, Cent, Ubuntu and Linux Mint controle a large portion of the free of charge Linux market on servers and desktop deployments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2008 word on desktop apple/send to apple laptop 2005word and doesn't display, why? [ 2 Answers ]

Document written in 2008 word sent to 2005 word both apple CPUs but document won't translate. Instead it is a bunch of sequential hyrogliphics? What process to Save to lesser update of word so document can open in older version? Or other solution Thank You Rein

Lost mailbox & its contents in Apple eMail Program [ 1 Answers ]

I attempted to merge two mailboxes of e-mails by dragging one up to another. But the one I dragged disappeared (and all of its contents). And none of its contents are in any of the remaining mailboxes. Where are the contents of this mailbox? This is Apple's Mail program 2.1.3.

Will downloading apple software cause problems with any Microsoft software [ 1 Answers ]

Have downloaded Itunes software and was wondering if it would cause conflict with my other music and video files

Apple tree worms & Laytex Paint [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Spokane WA and was told by a worker with an agriculture program here that if you paint about 2 feet up on the trunk of an apple tree with latex paint that it will keep the worms out of the apples. Is this true? Sounds silly to me, but if it works I'm willing to try it!:confused:

Was injured & had huge med bills filed chapt 7 BK [ 4 Answers ]

I was severely hurt at home, fell down the basement stairs in 2004 and lost use of my right arm. We had huge bills and finally we filed chapt 7 BK this past June. In 2004 we filed for Social Security Disablity and was denied. Now 3 years later they want the back Social Security they awarded paid...

View more questions Search