Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Animus Posts: 93, Reputation: 3

Dec 18, 2010, 02:13 PM
    Why do people spend absurd amounts of money on cars?
    I live a very frugal life. I only spend money on food and gas, its what keeps me alive and keeps me moving. I often times daydream of certain things that cost "absurd amounts of money" I will admit this, however these expensive dreams always involve sharing, providing homeless people with food and shelter, feeding whole countries with a relatively small amount.

I cannot even come close to understanding why some people spend a quarter million dollars on a sports car, especially when you still have to drive the speed limit. Is it wrong to think that these people, who waist money another person could use to live, are evil?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 02:29 PM

Evil? Do you know the definition? That's a strong word to use on people you don't even know.

No, they're not evil, they earned the money they're spending, and they have a right to spend it the way they see fit, as do you.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 02:38 PM

Did you buy the computer you used to get onto this website?
    Pets Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 02:44 PM

I had to spread the rep IT. Your post is right on the money.

The question is, where do you draw the line? You say you live a frugal life, and that people that spend absurd amounts of money on luxuries are evil. Where does the line from "frugal living" end and "evil consumer" begin?

Computers aren't a necessity, they're a luxury. Internet connection isn't frugal. They're not cheap. That money could have gone to the poor. A few thousand dollars would feed a lot of people.

So, what do you have to buy, how much do you have to spend, before reaching "evil" status in your book?
    Networking Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 02:52 PM

Damn. I had to spread the rep too.

My thoughts exactly though A!
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2010, 02:56 PM

Had to spread some rep too.

But I agree, evil is pretty strong. And maybe some of those people who waste money on things like cars they rarely drive and other luxuries have also put a lot of their money towards other things like helping homelessness and fighting hunger.
    Networking Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 03:00 PM

Think about this. How much money has celebrities, singers, multi-million dollar people given to charities and events.

My answer... ALOT
    Networking Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 03:45 PM

A person who makes $2,000,000 per year and buys a $400,000 Ferrari is no different then a person who makes $85,000 and buys a $20,000 Chevy.

Spending is relative to income! You see an issue with buying a $400,000 Ferrari because you probably don't make $400,000/yr

During the 2007-2008 fiscal year Oprah Winfrey donated $52,000,000 to charities. So with this said if she wanted to buy a $10,000,000 ice cream then I praise her for it!
    Pets Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 03:55 PM

I agree IT. If you've earned it and want to spend it, it's yours to spend.

I'm not rich, not by any means. We struggle week to week. I do give to charities of my choosing. I donate to the Humane society because animals don't have a choice, not like humans. I donate food to food drives, and I give used clothing and household items to goodwill. We buy a toy for Santas anonymous every year. That's all we can do.

I have a van that I bought new in 2001. I drive my kids to school every morning and pick them up after. I do the grocery shopping etc. I need my vehicle and it has to be reliable. I paid cash for it. At that time I had an inheritance and that's what I chose to spend some of the money on. My money, my choice, and the $40,000 price tag did hurt, but I still have the van 9 years later, and will likely have it for another 9 years.

It's great to think of others, but to admonish those that don't, or those that spend their money on items that may seem frivolous, extreme, that's not your place. Each person has to decide what they want to do with their money. If you want to give all your hard earned cash to the needy, then good for you, but don't you dare call someone else evil because they don't feel the same way.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 08:48 PM

I also don't believe in a waste of money on cars, My car is 20 year old but gets me where I am going.

And I may judge you for buying a 20,000 car, instead of a 3000 used car. ** OK I won't, but I could.

It is not evil to do anything you want, with your own money, it keeps people in jobs, and keeps the economy going

And you are acting as if a person does not have right, to use and spend, or not spend their own money.
    Networking Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 08:53 PM

Fr_Chuck: So if you made millions of dollars per year. Would you have bought a new car already, perhaps a more expensive car then if you only made $60,000?

I'm not saying a $400,000 Ferrari but I think you get my point.
    Networking Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 08:54 PM
    I guess a better question is why buy a $20,000 car over a $3,000 car? Just because we have the money to do so or is there more to it then just numbers?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    I guess a better question is why buy a [$14,000] car over a $3,000 car? Just because we have the money to do so or is there more to it then just numbers?
    Perhaps the purchaser spends a lot of time on the road (home-visiting counselor, job coach, and resume writer) and needs a reliable car that's nice-looking (to show good taste and personal integrity), comfortable (remember, long hours on the road), and has good cupholders (for coffee stops) and sound system (for audiobooks and music and talk radio).
    Networking Expert

Dec 18, 2010, 09:05 PM

I agree WG. When I buy a car it has more to do about what I want and need then the numbers. If I have to spend $1,000 more to get the car I want then I will. I can justify buying a car up and over $20,000 because it is a car I plan to have for a long time.

If you can find a $3,000 car that does what you want and need then by all means, but what I am saying is that someone making millions a year shouldn't be called evil because he/she bought a $400,000 Ferrari!
    Spending habits are reflective of income! (for most people ;))

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much money would you spend to save your pet from cancer? [ 6 Answers ]

We all love our pets, but I was wandering how much people really are willing to sacrifice if it comes to the choice: their pet or their hard earned money. $700? $1,000? $1,500? $3,000+? I am interested in how much we spend (or are willing to spend)

Do we spend money on a wedding or just go to the courthouse? [ 2 Answers ]

My family is not really big on marriages and my parents already said before I got engaged they wouldn't pay for a wedding. My fiance' is the complete opposite and really wants a wedding and his family seems pretty big on a wedding too, but they have not offered to help finacially with the wedding....

View more questions Search