Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SweetEmmy Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Getting off Depo-prevera
    I am currently on Depo-Prevera. I have been on it for 9 months. I am suppose to go back and get my 4th shot on January 16, 2007. However, I don't have the 60 bucks needed to get the shot, so I have to get off it. Is there anything, I should know of that happens after you are off the shot? I am asking this beacause I am very nervous. I am a Teenager, so I guess that a good reason to be nervous. I hope there are not health risking symptoms, and stuff that is going to bother me just because Im off it. I didn't want to get off Depo, but I don't have the money for it, and I am also single, and haven't had any sex partners for well over 4 months. My ex broke up with me the day after I got my 3rd shot.

So I guess, I am asking, Is this a good decision? And Are there any symptoms, or problems that occur after getting off the shot?

Thank you in Advace,
    Mary-Jo:confused:
    Julie25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 5

Jan 10, 2007, 07:48 AM
    I was on depo for 6 yrs. When I got off it the only symptom I experienced was bleeding for a long period it was heavier at first and then tapered off. Other than that there was no problem. Now I have periods like clockwork now and I am on the Yasmin birth control pills. I got off Depo to hopefully straighten my system out, because I basically went 6 yrs with little or no bleeding at all. Plus I hope to have another child in the next year or so. I wouldn't be to nervous I am sure you will be fine. Its understandable that your nervous though because your young. If you have any questions about it, your gyn can answer all those and there are great information websites out there.. I seen one posted around here once. If you are going to continue to be sexually active in the future always use protection, whether you get on a pill or use condoms always be safe! Good luck!
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2007, 08:14 AM
    When I went off it I got a few really bad headaches for a couple of days and the heavy bleeding that Julie was talking about.
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Jan 10, 2007, 10:17 AM
    I went off Depo after using it for about two years. I didn't have any bleeding, headaches, or other symptoms at all. I started the Nuva ring about three weeks after I should have had another shot, and started my normal period (for the first time in two years) during my "off week" of the new birth control. I did, however, have to stop taking the new because for medical reasons, and once stopping because all together I didn't have a period for about 60 days. I am now very regular!
    Julie25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 5

Jan 11, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Wow, automansgirl, you were very lucky to have gone through that like that.
    I wish I could've.. Not just bleeding I felt like an emotional trainwreck :)
    Amy1968 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Hi all my name is Amy. I am 38 years old. My next depo vera shot is Jan. 17th. I have gained weight and gone up 2 pant sizes, I was a size 10 and now I am a size 12. Everything seems to be a little tight, so I am going off the depo shot. I have been on the shot for 4 months. Being on the shot I haven't had a period. Is that normal ?

I talked with some friends who have been on the shot and they say that I can just go off it and my periods should resume. Also they said that if I was gaining weight and feeling uncomfortable with myself that I should go off the shot.

What would be the side effects of getting off the depo ? And will my periods resume ?

Amy
    SweetEmmy Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Amy..
    I have been on depo for 9 months... I was suppose to go back for my shot yesterday, but I didn't because I don't have the money and I am also sick of the symptoms such as always feeling fat and stuff like that. I think it is a good idea for you to get off it too. I gained excessive amount of weight too. And yes, its normal to not have a period because depo stops the cycle. It makes it so if you had any sex, the sperm wouldn't be able to meet the egg because the egg is not in the fallopian tubes. That's what also causes you not to have a period. I think the symptoms of getting off the shot is anonymous spotting and headaches. That's what I have been being told. Eventually you will get your period regulary. My nurse told me that, It will take about 1 yr for all the symptoms to subside and to be able to have babies. If you have any questions about it. Ask your Oby/gn and they should be able to answer them.

I hope this information was helpful.. and I will keep you posted on how it is getting off the shot.

Mary-Jo :o
    Amy1968 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Thank You Mary Jo for your input. The info is greatly appreciated. Today 1/17/07 I was supposed to make an appointment for the depo shot and I have decided to go off the shot. I do have an appointment with my doctor Feb. 2nd and I will let her know that I am off it.

I also take a depression medication called Zoloft and a lot of the side effects like feeling tired, head aches, being bloated, and breast tenderness are all symptoms of being on Zoloft. But I know when I get bloated and my breasts get tender at the beginning of every month I know it is time for my period, so I am not worried at all.

Yes keep posted on how you are doing and thanks again for the info. :)

Amy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depo [ 5 Answers ]

I was on the depo shot for 6 months and missed my last shot. Its been a month and I still haven't gotten my period.How long until I get my period again? Should I be taking a pregnancy test?

Depo bleeding [ 2 Answers ]

I just received the depo birth control shot back on the 14th of nov and they said when I got the shot I would not have my period any longer however tonight I started to bleed and it just came what does theat mean

Depo Provera [ 3 Answers ]

I was on the Depo shot for a little over a year. I was put on it to try and stop abnormal bleeding. I have recently read on many sites that you should not even take depo if you have unknown bleeding. anyways, i always had abnormal periods and when i was on the shot i didnt get my period at all. ...

How do I block other useres from getting into my wirless network? [ 1 Answers ]

OK here I'm getting confused on trying to set up a block from the other users I only just want 2 computers getting on my wirless internet.. seems only fair I am paying for it... I tried to set up to where it can only set up on addy to my comp... and this is the part where I'm getting lost... I can...

View more questions Search