Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inkeeper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2010, 07:41 AM
    I accepted a job flying for an individual and after taking the job, he changed...
    "I accepted a job flying for an individual who originally was to use the aircraft for personal use. After 5 weeks his original deal has totally reversed. He now has put the aircraft on a charter certificate and because I expressed my reservations about working under totally different rules as originally agreed to, I am out of a job. Because he was trying to avoid legal costs, he had me work as a 'contractor' and I no longer have unemployment benefits. Do I have a case to sue for breach of the verbal contract that he broke?"
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2010, 08:56 AM

What sort of contract did you have written up? Did you have clauses for that in that contract?

If you were simply an "AT WILL" employee, then there isn't much you can do.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 16, 2010, 09:31 AM

This does not sound like a contract at all. From what you tell us so far there was no time frame on this employment, like Smoothy says, you could be terminated at any time for no cause.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 16, 2010, 10:16 AM
    Were you collecting unemployment up until 5 weeks ago?

As for his avoidance of costs, you walked into it with eyes wide open. You could have insisted on being an employee. I suppose he would have found someone else.
    I wonder if you were technically allowed to be a contractor in the eyes of the IRS, who has a very long list of requirements for same.
    You could hold that over him if it's true - but I would consider that an unfair type of retaliation. He didn't set out to ruin you or your job with him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

10 diffrences in job descriptions job specifications and job evaluations [ 13 Answers ]

Find the points at least 10 of differences between job description,job specifications,job evaluation

Design a job description and job spesification for a hypothetical job [ 1 Answers ]

ABC company has a problem of motivation among their factory floor workers.the management decide to increase the amount of task to be performed by some employees while providing more authority to some of the employees to performe duties.Along with these changes another set of empoloyees werw give an...

Accepted Job For Wrong Reasons [ 6 Answers ]

I hired a woman approx. 2 months ago for a position in our very small company. Very Mom & Pop. We do not have a fancy phone system or database. We do many duplicate steps because we are not automated. I in no way believe that this way is the best way, but, for now, it's just the way it is. We...

View more questions Search