Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Albuqcrew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Filing a lien
    This maybe an unusal question or circumstance but, my son let his girlfrien use his cell phone so that she would have one to use while she was away at college, her parents took the phone and threw it in the toilet and damage it to where it doesn't work properly. The parents also have another one of his cell phones that he let his grilfriend use and the parents took that cell phone and changed it over to a new number and will not give it back. Question is can we file a lien on the property for the cost of the two cell phones? The grilfriend is 19 years old.

Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Hello Albug:

No, but HE can file a small claims suit.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2007, 04:57 PM
    To file a lien you have to first get a court judgement that they refuse to pay.

Now you have to decide who to sue, the girl was given the phones by your son. So the girl had legal possession of them. But she allowed her mother and/or someone to destroy the phones and convert to personal use

In my day of course I would have told my son it was his fault for giving them in the first place, make him work them off and let it be a learning lesson for HIM.

But of course today everyone wants to sue everyone. So if the phones are in his name, he needs to sue the girl and her parents in a suit for value of the loss.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HOA Filing a Lien on a house. [ 3 Answers ]

I am the President of my Home Owners Association. We have a couple of homowners who refuse to pay their home owner dues. It clearly states in our bylaws that we reserve the right to file a lien against your house if you are delinquent in paying your dues. My questions are, do we need a lawyer to...

A property that had a lien on it [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a question. I was wondering how they can sell a property that had a lien on it. I live in the state of Ohio and they just did this us recently. Our home was foreclosed on and it had a lien on it and now we are getting sued by the place that placed the lien on it in the first place. How...

Filing Lien on a property [ 2 Answers ]

I invested in a property with another person... the property and mortgage are entirely in his name, and there was a partnership agreement executed at the beginning of this process. My dollar investment into this property has been 4X that of my partner, and we are now trying to sell the...

Lien [ 4 Answers ]

Can a credit card company place a lien on property?

Lien [ 8 Answers ]

I checked my account online tonight and all my money is gone. I called my bank's 1800 number and they said there is a lien on the account for 2000 dollars. I only had about 700 approx total. My account shows overdrawn -1768!! How can they do that? I never received ANY notice of this. I did...

View more questions Search