Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lotsoflover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 06:49 PM
    My bulldog has an oder
    My bulldog has an oder and I try to bath her once a week. But after two days she smells again. What can I do?

My bulldog is on a veggie and chicken dry dog food. She has very dry skin. :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2007, 07:36 PM
    Most dogs will do fine on most commercial chows as long as they are given it and little else. Veggie, grain, whatever, they are all formulated to have the same nutrients. Any dog will have dry skin with weekly baths unless you are very careful to rinse, rinse, rinse out the last of the shampoo and use conditioner. Try knocking off the baths and going with a daily brushing with a soft bristled brush. More pleasant for both man and beast. See how she is after a few weeks and her natural oils build up to normal levels. She doesn't have a chance to roll in her feces or other stinky stuff does she? You may need to keep her relief area clean.

Have you discussed this with your vet? An important concern is her ears. Infected or even excessively waxy ears can cause a terrible doggy odor.

I don't bathe my dogs. Aster hasn't had a bath since she came to live with us over 3 years ago. She does get to swim in the river in nice weather. She goes out in public regularly, and nobody ever says anything about her. My puppies are inspected monthly by trained people with no comments on odor.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2007, 08:15 PM
    I feel dogs deserve a bath when they become unhuggable, however being unhuggable should not occur every 2 days. There is probably something going on that is causing the odor.
    Like labman mentioned, ear infections can be quite smelly as well as rolling around in dirty potty areas of your yard.
    Dirty teeth and gums can give off bad odors too.
    It's been my experience that when a dog is labeled a "stinky dog" with no apparent reason for the odor, a lot of times it is caused by having an anal gland problem.
    Your vet would be able to diagnose this and suggest the proper treatment.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2007, 05:15 AM
    I agree about bathing bad smelling dogs. I have my dogs out around enough other people, that surely if there was a problem I am unaware of, somebody would say something. I can't take Aster out to a public restaurant, but do the puppies I have had for as much as a year. Nobody ever said anything. Evil smelling dogs can be thrown out of public places service dog tag and all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer oder [ 12 Answers ]

I have not submitted a question here before but found such useful information I thought I'd give it a try. We have a new home that we moved into 2 months ago and have run up against a very puzzling problem. We have had a bad, intermittent sewage odor at the front of the house since prior to...

Very sick bulldog! [ 7 Answers ]

I have an 8 month old English Bulldog, Her name is Neah. About 2 months ago I noticed she was peeing frequently, and pooping frequently but little by little. On top of that she was throwing up everywhere! I was so worried. We took her to the vet, said that she just hed some built up fluid and...

My sick bulldog [ 2 Answers ]

My bulldog keeps shakeing his jaw and lots of water coming out of his mouth often two to three times a day I have taken him to the vets and the have given him a clean bill of health can anyone give me advise on what could be causeing this problem a

Sick American Bulldog [ 4 Answers ]

What Should I Do My Dog Has Blood In Stool ,vomiting,weak,hot,&wont Eat Or Drink??

View more questions Search