Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Danny1900 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2010, 09:38 AM
    Dachshund Back problem - urinating problem
    My dachshund is now on box-rest after his back problems caused paralysis in his back legs. Is there any method to help him urinate or defecate?Basically after losing the use of his back legs, he has lost the ability to urinate or defecate by himself.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 09:50 AM

Hi Danny, are you basically saying you have to carry him out to pee and poo?

I don't think there is anything else you can do to help other then assisting. What is the prognosis from the Vet, by the way? Will he regain his back portion ? And, how old is he ?

I have seen dacshounds with back problems (a chronic condition with them because of their long backs) using a contrivance with wheels, harnessed, that allow them to get around quite well.
    Tick
    bla333 Posts: 72, Reputation: -1

Dec 23, 2010, 11:24 AM
    I strongly believe that you should visit the vet at this point. If he/she cannot find a way to help your dog then it may be time to put him down. If you do not have enough money for the vet then maybe you could borrow some from a friend. When my uncle was a child he needed his dog to see a vet but didn't have the money but someone that did have enough offered to pay if he would hand ownership over to her. You may also have to do this but isn't it worth it to have them get well and be owned by someone eelse then to watch them die right before you?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bla333 View Post
    i strongly believe that you should visit the vet at this point. if he/she cannot find a way to help your dog then it may be time to put him down. if you do not have enough money for the vet then maybe you could borrow some from a friend. when my uncle was a child he needed his dog to see a vet but didnt have the money but someone that did have enough offered to pay if he would hand ownership over to her. you may also have to do this but isnt it worth it to have them get well and be owned by someone eelse then to watch them die right before you?
    You have to use a little more tact in your replies, bla. Think before you type, or else read it over and make alterations.

Tick
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2010, 05:12 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your Doxie.
    What has the vet told you, is the paralysis permanent or is there a chance you could regain some movement?

Years ago my parents had an 187 pound (yes, 187lb) Great Dane who was shot by a farmer and was temporarily paralyzed in the hind legs.
    They had to get 2 people on each side of him with a blanket under his stomach to take him outside to potty.
    Poor boy refused to urinate on his bedding so had to wait until my parents friends came around to help carry him.

With your doxie it would be a lot easier than that to get him outside than it was with the Great Dane but I realise that is not always possible.

Have you considered using diapers on him?
    You can buy ones specifically made for dogs or you can just buy ones for toddlers and cut a hole for the tail.
    Problem with that is some dogs are *too* well trained and won't go anywhere but outside.

Now, I realise I may have understood this wrong as well, when you say lost the ability to potty on his own, do you mean just not being able to go out to potty or he actually cannot go any more?
    If it is the latter then this is something you have to discuss with your vet, there may be ways to manually stimulate him to go (same as newborn puppies) which will require a lot of work on your part.
    bla333 Posts: 72, Reputation: -1

Jan 18, 2011, 09:30 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    That's VERY rude I did think about it before I typed and it was the best and most clever answer given.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 18, 2011, 09:52 PM

that's VERY rude I did think about it before I typed and it was the best and most clever answer given.
    I'm getting very sick of your attitude.

Also, we have repeatedly asked that you use the answer box. You have used it, so you do in fact have that option (even though you lied and said you didn't) so use it.

This is not kindergarten. If you cannot act responsibly and obey the rules than you will not be allowed to stay. So far we've all been very forgiving of your rants and attitude, but enough is enough.

I realize you're a child, you're only 11, but if you want to continue posting here I suggest you stop acting like a child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dachshund urinating a lot [ 4 Answers ]

I have a puppy that today has been drinking a lot of water and then has been urinating a lot all of a sudden I am not sure why this is? I noticed she was a little consitpated but I wasn't sure if maybe it's a uti also??

Miniature dachshund, breding problem [ 16 Answers ]

We bred her 51 days ago - her 63rd day should be 30 May She seems thicker; she is eating more; her teats do seem a little bigger; but I am unsure how to tell for sure (other than going to vet) if she is pregnant.

10 yr Dachshund drinking & urinating A LOT [ 4 Answers ]

Anyone know what could cause my dog to start drinking a lot and urinating in the house? No strong smell, color is clear to faint yellow. He whines when he has to go but I can't always get to him quick enough. He is blind and had successful back surgery on 10/31/08.

1995 Altima Idleing problem Knock & O2 sensor, EGR Flow Problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1995 Nissan Altima with 67,000 miles. When the car is idleing when I start it or when it is at a red light the rpm's go from 6000 to 9000. It sounds like I am reving the engine. The engine sounds fine when I am driving the car ( rpm's are consitent). I went to AutoZone the read out errors...

My Half Dachshund Half Chihuahua has potty problem! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my My Half Dachshund Half Chihuahua is a great dog but when it comes to the potty he is not good. He is let outside every hour but sometimes he pees in the house. I stay with him outside for 30 minutes and let him inside. I have no solution what should I do? :confused:

View more questions Search