Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    libbymable Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2010, 10:39 AM
    Why does the man have equal rights?
    I am going through a similar situation at the moment. My daughters dad has such a terrible attitude towards me and does not give me any money towards the upbring of his child, I understand that people should man up to their choices in life, but shouldn't he? He expects a packed bag with clean clothes each weekend, and then does not return the clothes, which costs me money. I am barely able to put food in the fridge. He shouts at me when I mention money, and this evening said he is not going to be seeing his daughter for a few weeks as I am doing his head in?? I do not think this is fair, as I am left to carry on? On my own? Quite conveienent that it is coming up to xmas, probably wants all his xmas nights out. So men have these "rights" so why do I have to financially do it alone? But allow him in my home to pick her up. I do not understand.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 6, 2010, 01:25 PM

I moved your post from where you piggybacked it on a nearly 3 year old thread.

Have you gone to court? Have you gotten all of this in a court order?

If not, then THAT is your mistake.

If so--why did you agree to something so ludicrous? And why isn't child support being paid if you have a court order?

YOU slept with this guy. YOU chose to raise your child. YOU get the consequences of that.

If you don't like it, then go to court and either GET a court order for custody, visitation, and child support--or go BACK to court and get it modified.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 6, 2010, 02:45 PM

To answer your question of why men have equal rights. Its because its best for the child to have both parents involved in the life of the child.

Having said that it is also not equal rights in the outcome of most court rooms in this country (USA). Men are most often thought of as walking wallets and the judges tend to give the children to the women in most cases. Equal ? Not hardly. Fair? Nope. But its part of reality. SO if your not getting along with your ex then try to figure out how to do so for the child. And if he isn't returning items sent with the child then its off to court you go for a modification so that he does bring things back. And that is the continuing life story for many divorced or separated couples throughout the U.S. and other countries as well.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2010, 04:19 PM

If he's not giving you money, why not? Have you filed for child support? It seems he has the child each weekend, is that by court order or mutual agreement.

If he does not return the clothes you sent the child with the previous weekend, then you tell him, you still have the clothes I sent last week. Use those for this weekend, or buy new. I can't keep providing clothes if they aren't returned.

If he shouts at you the next time you mention money, tell him to leave and the next time we talk money it will be in front of a judge. And then file for child support (which you should do anyway)

I suspect that he walks all over you because you LET HIM DO SO. You need to develop a back bone and stand up to him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does no rights equal no child support? [ 2 Answers ]

My baby's daddy has made no attempt or effort at being a father. He is more interested in seeing me personnally than our child. He wants to give up all his parental rights, which I think would be a good idea. However I still need child support to help with daycare costs because I am a single...

View more questions Search