Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NHigh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2010, 05:48 PM
    Poor pipe insulation?
    We have had continual problems with the water temperature in our kitchen and master bathroom (rear side of our home, facing west). In the summer, the cold water is extremely hot and requires a long time before it cools. This is a significant waste of water. In the winter, the hot water is freezing and again, requires a significant running of water to obtain a appropriate temperature. Our builder told us this was normal because the pipes were in the attic. In addition, during the freezing cold spell last winter, our pipes in the walls facing the west (the same pipes) froze on two occasions. Have never experienced this in any other home. Called builder again and was told that "industry standard" is 2-3 minutes of running water to obtain appropriate temperature.
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Dec 2, 2010, 06:06 PM
    Builder is lying or has no idea what he is doing.

Plumbing codes require pipes subject to freezing to be insulated and/or heated.

Energy codes also require hot water piping installed outside of conditioned spaces to be insulated.

Call your local code office to find what the builder should have done.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 2, 2010, 06:12 PM

Hi all...

Plumbing code requires a recirculating hot water line in homes that have hot water pipe runs over 100 feet, so if you are less than 100 feet the wait time isn't abnormal, although it can be fixed by installing a recirculating line or under sink recirculating system at the farthest sink in the house.

Pipes in areas prone to freezing should NEVER have water pipes installed in an outside wall. How old is your home?

I agree with Manhatten... call your local plumbing inspector and discuss all this with him... may be he can offer some insight as he probably inspected the job (so do weigh his answers carefully... ;))

Questions? Let us know, OK?

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 3, 2010, 07:44 AM

Even in Florida where the weather's warm we don't run water pipes overhead unless it's a remodel or a condo as as Mark pointed out not in cold climates in a outside wall or the attic where they could freeze.
    Think about t! V If you had a leak or a pipe burst where would you rather have the flood? Under the slab or up overhead where it could rain down on your rigs and furniture? Why was this house piped overhead? Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asbestos abatement - pipe insulation [ 10 Answers ]

Hi - I've got an old Weil-McLain gas boiler in my 1934 house that I bought last year that will need to be replaced someday (hopefully not too soon). It runs fine(though probably only 50% efficient according to energy auditor), and I just had it cleaned and checked out. But replacement is...

Window AC Copper Pipe Insulation? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a window air conditioner and opened the case to inspect the fan as recommended by the instructions. I am interested in how they work and have been reading about it. My question is, why don't any of the copper pipes have insulation on them? I understand the purpose of the heat...

Insulation on shower pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just had to open up the wall behind my shower head pipe. It's not an outside wall and has no insulation. Would it do me any good to throw some pink insulation in the wall up the length of the pipe and behind the faucet controls? It's only about 4 feet of exposed pipe. I just closed up one of the...

Water Pipe Insulation [ 2 Answers ]

I've seen on several DIY television shows where people would insulate the exposed basement water pipes. I can understand how it would help to insulate the HOT water pipes, but I don't understand how it would help to insulate the COLD water pipes. What is the point in insulating the COLD water...

Pipe diameter = poor water pressure? [ 1 Answers ]

My apartment has low pressure, especially in the shower. It's a loft building in NYC and my unit was renovated in 1985. Others in the building claim to have no issues with pressure. I'm re-doing one bath and the walls have been removed. While the pipes running to the shower area are large, the...

View more questions Search