Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morganbeanz918 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2010, 10:51 AM
    Siblings sharing a room in Wisconsin
    My cousin has 3 children, a 15 yr old girl, a 8 yr old boy and a 5 month old. She lives with her husband in a 2 bedroom apartment. The 15 yr old shares her bedroom with her 8 yr old brother, while the baby shares a room with his parents. Is it legal to put the boy and girl (with such a huge age difference) in the same room? Is it even legal to have a 2 bedroom that houses 5 people in the state of Wisconsin?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2010, 11:01 AM

Yes... why wouldn't it be? It mostly depends on square footage. Not actual room counts. There is no legal requirement for every kid to have his or her own room.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2010, 07:44 AM

It's not illegal. It's not a great idea, as a teenager especially needs some private space, but sometimes 2 bedrooms are all that the family can afford.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2010, 01:27 PM
    As long as the teen is OK sharing her room with her brother its fine. If the 8 year old were also a teen, that may make both of them uncomfratable. But I don't believe there are any laws against it. Some apartment complexes have guidelines that the company chooses to follow but it is not a law.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 31, 2010, 02:36 PM

We can't say, definitively, whether there are laws about this. Generally such laws are on a very local level. I don't know of any state laws on the issue. In some localities housing or building departments may regulate this. In others, family services agencies may have rules about it. So if you really want to know, I would ask at the local Family services agency.

Generally though any rules on this issue would be enforced only if someone files a complaint with the authorities.

I would agree that a 15 yr old girl needs her privacy. And sharing with an 8 yr old brother is not the best situation.

I'm wondering why you are asking. Did the 15 yr old complain to you?

P.S. Moved from children forum

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Opposite sex siblings sharing a bedroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 children who are 8, 5 and 4 and they are sharing the same bedroom at the moment, the older two are girls and the youngest is a boy. I've been on the council waiting list for a 3 bedroomed house for over 4 years now but as far as they know it is okay for the children to be sharing a room. ...

Statistics on Siblings sharing bedroom [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I taking a course on English Comp III and I need Statistics on Siblings sharing bedrooms in the US. Can someone tell me where to find these stats?

What is the North Carolina law for siblings sharing same bedroom? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 11 year old daughter that visits with her dad every other weekend. She also has an 8 year old brother by another woman that her bio-dad got with after he and I separated. The bio-dad gets both kids on the same weekend for visitation with him and they have to share a room together. I...

Opposite Sex Siblings sharing a bedroom [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of Wisconsin, is there any law prohibiting opposite-sex siblings from sharing a bedroom after a certain age?

Siblings sharing bedrooms [ 5 Answers ]

Me and my husband have been married for a year. He has two daughters ages 12 and 7 and I have a son that is 4 years old. We are buying a new home and my husband wants to put our two youngest in the same room and let our 12 year old have her own room. My question is, should the girls be sharing a...

View more questions Search