Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lb22sjc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2010, 06:02 PM
    Changing my son's last names!!
    I recently got married 5 months ago and have 2 children from previous relationships. My husband wants to adopt my son's and for them to have his last name. Neither of their fathers are on their birth certificates and haven't paid any child support at all. How and where do we go about getting their last names changed so we all have the same last name?!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 1, 2010, 06:23 PM

You will have to get the bio fathers permission for your new husband to adopt.
    Lb22sjc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2010, 06:24 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Wait, even though they are not on the birth certificates, I still have to get their permission from them in order for my husband to adopt them>!! What if I just want to legally change their last name?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 1, 2010, 06:45 PM

You need the biological father's permission to change a last name too.

This is WHY you put the jerk's name on the birth certificate at the time of the birth. Well, that and that your child DESERVES to know his biological background, jerk or no jerk. Especially in an age of needing medical background.

So--yes, you need to find the fathers or make a reasonable attempt to do so, and get them to relinquish in court to clear the way for an adoption.

Child support, by the way, has NOTHING to do with parental rights. Have you even FILED for child support, through the courts? They don't owe ANYTHING if you haven't.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 1, 2010, 07:07 PM

Yes, you have to get the bio dads permission

Being on or not on the Birth certificate does not make any difference.

In fact if he is not on it, it can make it harder, since he may demand a DNA test if patenity has not been prveiously proved.

But not listing him did not take away any of his rights

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I change my son's last names [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 sons my expartner his name is on 2 birth certficates and not on the youngest who is 6 can I change there names without his permission ?

Changing my son's name. [ 2 Answers ]

My son's father had just gave up all rights to my son, who just turned two. I have read and understand that he is still responsible for "child support". He signed paper drafted by my lawyer, who was doing this for free. I have two questions. 1) Will the signed document by my ex is enough to...

Changing my son's name [ 5 Answers ]

My son's father and I are not together and I let him get his say on my sons name. I'm not happy with his first and middle names can I legally change it without input from his father?

View more questions Search