Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curyman11 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Shower handle replacement
    I'm replacing my whole shower. There is a shower head and a handle. I've removed the handle and note a round copper stem with a flat bottom, sticking out from the center of the hot/cold connector. It is about 1/4" diameter. Is this a standard set up? Will any replacement valve fit on it or are there different types? Thanks a lot.

Bill
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Hi Bill,

Your question is a little confusing. In the first part you say you are replacing the entire shower but later on you act like you wish to keep part of the old shower valve and add to it. Please reword the question and give us more details. Regards, Tom
    curyman11 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Sorry for the confusion. I'm trying to reuse all the piping. I'm going to buy a new handle and am wondering if they are all the same. (i.e. how they attach to valve at the hot/cold junction. I see a stem which is round with a flat bottom. The old hand fit over this stem. Are the back of the handles all the same? Is that clear?

Bill
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2007, 04:51 PM
    "I see a stem which is round with a flat bottom. The old hand fit over this stem. Are the back of the handles all the same?"
    Not all handles are the same. Some have a pop-out insert and a screw underneath that screws into the stem while others have a set screw that secures the handle to the stem at the bottom. Yours sounds like the latter. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing old single shower handle [ 4 Answers ]

We just bought a house and the wife wants the handle replaced. I am not sure of the correct name of this type or style, it's obviously a single handle and it has a lever underneath that goes left or right to switch from shower to bath facet. I'm very handy and was just curious if this is...

Shower insert leak at metal handle [ 5 Answers ]

Request any advice on how to seal a metal handle that is an integral part of a shower insert. I've had a plumber look at the situation. His comment was that shower inserts with metal handles were no longer sold because they developed leaks at the juncture of the metal handle and the holes on...

Shower handle leakes from the knob [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everybody: The house is about 15 years old. This shower has been giving me problems with the hot water first and now is leaking from the middle handle that controls the shower and the tub. My main concern is that I cannot get to the assembly to change the parts because the shower is a...

Shower Handle [ 1 Answers ]

The single handle shower control knob needs to be turned slightly on to prevent dripping at the faucet when turned off. I also can't seem to get the water hot enough for my shower. Am I just catching the water heater at a "down" cycle or is something deteriorating in the handle mechanism?

Leaking Outdoor Shower Handle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a summer house that we close in the winter. Every year I drain the pipes, take apart all the faucets, and put antifreeze down the drains. This year everything went well except for the outdoor shower. I connected all the pipes and turned the system on and the showers faucet handle began to...

View more questions Search