Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patience Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Bankruptcy digs a deeper hole
    I filed for chapter 13 and it was dismissed because I thought my payments were suspended during the summer months because I am a teacher. I called my attorney and was informed to refile not realizing how much this would hurt me or should I say hurt me worse than what I was. Well, I got sick and tried to work long enough to pay into my plan which caused me to become sicker than what I was so they dismissed it. Now that I am up and well and now I need to get me a car I am having a hard time getting financed because of this. My attorney did not inform me of how refiling hurts your credit as well as hurt your chances of being able to get anything. I have never had a car repossessed and slow paying my bills but I have had too many car dealers to tell me that they have more people that have filed with this particular to get messed up behind it. What do I do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Ok, refiling does not really hurt that much worst, it is just plain filing,

I would ask if you could not make the payments on a chapter 13 why you did not use a chapter 7. The payment plan on a chapter 13 is very tight, Next you can not add debt ( buy a car on payment) while you are on a chapter 13 without the courts permission.

Next because they were dismissed, ( not in effect) it also means that everyone you owed, you still owe, so all of that bad credit is also adding up on your report. It is a history of bad credit I would believe that is hurting you a lot more then a simple re-filing which is fairly common for various reasons.

And if you were never slow paying your bills why did you file a chapter 13 to start with??

You pay all of your bill you included on your chapter 13 and clean up your credit report.

You could not have had good credit and would have filed a chapter 13, it is used to protect property because you can not afford to pay your bills and puts you on a payment plan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drilling a hole in glass [ 3 Answers ]

How do I drill a hole in glass? Do I need a special bit or tool?

A hole in the ground [ 1 Answers ]

I have a drain in the floor of my basement that has given me some problems. Once, I had sewerage back up through that drain and my basement was filled with human waste. A plumber came in and snaked our main pipe at an entry at the bottom of the basement stairs, which fixed the problem. Four...

Septic hole [ 3 Answers ]

How can I keep a septic tank in ground ( concrete walls ) healthy. Any tips, I heard there are some chemicals one can use to break the "caca" down. Also I hear too much water is no good... any recommendations?? New at this. Thanks:p

View more questions Search