Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alex2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2007, 02:51 AM
    eye colour of our baby
    Hi, Please tell me what is the probability for my son's eye color to be Green.
    He is now 18 days old and the color is currently steel blue/green.

I am the father and I have light green eyes. My father has light green eyes (almost identical to mine) and my mother has green eyes (the color of olive oil). My brother has green eyes with resemblance to my mother's eye color. In my family I have (at least) one sibling with blue/grey eyes: my mothers father.

My wife, the baby's mother, has (light) brown eyes. Both her parents have brown eyes including her one sister. Most if not all of her greater family have brown eyes.

Extra info: I don't know how relevant it is: I was born with very blond hair (now they are dark blond) and my wife has brown hair.

I would appreciate if you told me what is (roughly) the possibility for our son's eye colour to be A) Green B) Brown or C) Blue.

I know that this is far more complex than it looks but I would appreciate your estimate.

Thanking you in advance,

Alex2 (Athens, Greece).:)
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2007, 04:34 AM
    Human eye color genetics [Athro Limited: Evolution]

Try that but I must add a baby's true eye colour will be at around age 1
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2007, 04:41 AM
    It's very hard to tell.

Eye color is a polygenic trait, which means that there are a number of genes that affect the eye color, that's why nobody has the same color eyes, there are many different shades and variations.

In general, the more pigment you have, the browner your eyes are, blue eyes have very little pigment, and green is somewhere in between.

That being said, there are some online calculators you can use to give a probability.

here looks like a very good one What Color Eyes Would Your Children Have?

I put in the data you have given me and it looks like a 35% probability of Green, but it's there for you to put in as much information as you can :)

Another thing I would like to correct you on:
    you said "In my family I have (at least) one sibling with blue/grey eyes: my mothers father"
    A sibling is a brother or sister of yourself, your mother's father is not your sibling. I thought I would point this out as the calculator asks about siblings.

Also please not that blood flow is another thing that can affect eye color, It's a large amount of factors that can be environmental in nature also, this is purely a genetic look at the color :)
    alex2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 03:01 AM
    :)
    Capuchin,

Thanks very much for your time and answer.

Alex.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kittens eye colour [ 2 Answers ]

My two kittens are 10 weeks old. When will their permanent eye colour be established?

Eye colour [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have unusual eye colour of the Iris, my eyes are brown around the pupil but the rest of the iris is blue, does anyone know what this eye type is called and why I have this unusual eye type?

Dress Colour for Hair Colour? [ 8 Answers ]

Hey, my name's Michelle, and I have no idea what colour dress looks good on me. I have long (longer than shoulder-length) straight blonde hair, and pale blue eyes. I'm tanned, but not too tanned, and I'm average weight. I was wondering if there's any colour scheme or something to figure out what...

Baby Eye Problems [ 2 Answers ]

My Son Is 7 Mos Old And Has A Triangle Of Color Missing In His Pupil,is There A Problem Here?My First Child Was Born Without A Tearduct And We Believe My Son Is Also The Same Way.when Should I Panic?

Eye colour [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have an interesting question for you, I have blue and brown eyes, the irises are brown in the middle around the pupils and the rest of the iris is light blue. I have been told that this is Heterochromia, is this correct? The colours are very distinct as the brown is just as evident as...

View more questions Search