Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dustandscrub Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 10:51 PM
    Residential cleaning service
    My name is Mari. I recently started a cleaning company. I have already cleaned serveral homes but I am having a hard time as to what I am suppose to charge. I do not have much experience in this field but thought it would be a good flexible job while I am in school. I have tried to get advice from people in the business but nobody likes to talk about they success secrets. Is there anyone that can lend a helping hand with any useful advice? Thank you and I look forward to your feedback!:o
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2007, 10:22 PM
    Hi there,

I work for a home care agency that does everything for the client from cleaning to personal cares to errands, etc. The agency charges $15.00/hour. There are some agencies that charge more, but they are also nursing skilled, which is not what you are looking at.

It is not inappropriate to charge $15.00/hour for cleaning services. My best friend pays that for her cleaning person and says the lady is well worth it. If you charge less than $10.00 you will be in the hole. Remember you will be self employed and need to cover your expenses, taxes, worker's compensation, etc. Yes, you can deduct some of those expenses.

There should be some good resources on starting a small business at your local library. Perhaps the Chamber of Commerce has information or even the Small Business Administration.

I think it is great you are willing to go out there and make a new venture. Good luck!
    jadedmom Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2007, 11:18 PM
    Your rates should vary based on location and experience. Some geographical areas command a higher rate than others. Also, you may want to quote by the home, not by the hour. Always pad your expected time to cover unforseen circumstances. So you may quote a home that you feel you can clean in 3 hours, at a rate of $12/hour, but instead of asking $36 you ask $42. And once you get in the groove with steady customers, you will be able to work faster and be out of there sooner without taking a cut in profit.
    You really need to do some homework locally, you don't want to price yourself out of the market, but you also don't want to sell yourself short.
    chookin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 10:01 AM
    For a first time cleaning I charge $30 an hour. When working by myself. Here in No. Va that is lower than other companies 1st time cleans. To help you, call other cleaning services in your area and ask them what they charge for a 1st time clean and find out how many people are on the team that they send and divide the amount accordingly. You can explain to the client that you need to bring her home up to a high standard of cleanliness and then maintain it. In setting the ongoing rate, you have to consider how much time goes by in between cleanings. For instance, if they want you to clean once a month, more dirt/dust will accumulate. So remember that when setting the rate. Ultimately you need to figure out what your time is worth & don't be afraid to charge them. The client will love the way her house looks and will typically pay you what you ask for ongoing cleaning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Residential boiler system [ 2 Answers ]

I have a residential boiler system in the house I bought. When I turned on the water supply to the boiler from the water system in the house, the T&P relief valve blew. I am assuming that this is because the water pressure in my household system (approx 70 psi) is too high for the boiler. The T&P...

Starting a Cleaning Service. Advice? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm thinking about starting a cleaning service in my area, where I would specialize in cleaning rentals and brand new houses. I am currently out in my area talking to people to see if they think it would be a service they would use. So I really am just in the beginning stages. I'm wondering...

New cleaning service bids [ 5 Answers ]

I have just started an office cleaning business. I already have one client who wants bids on several locations. I don't have time to wait for a book to arrive in the mail to get advise! I need help ASAP!! If you can help, I would be soooo grateful- thank you, vvj

Starting a cleaning service [ 6 Answers ]

Hello experts, Im located in Louisville Ky and I was interested in starting a cleaning service without tuns of money invested. Some of the things I would like to know is were do I start in terms of utilities and supplies, and what are the best markets or clients best suited for this carrer...

Residential Wire splicing [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to relocate an old receptacle to a new wall location in our house. If I will splice a new wire to the old one and put it in a box, should that box be visible on the wall(with cover plate) or can I just hide the box inside the wall. Thanks.

View more questions Search