Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bonchi820 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Slow logon when network cable plugged
    Hello all. I seem to be having a problem with my logon speed.
    I have 2 ethernet cards in both of my PCs. I use one card on each PC to connect to the internet via a router, and this setup is fine. But I recently connected my PCs together using the other ethernet cards and a crossover cable. My main PC is fine and has not changed, but the other PC has one little problem. With the crossover cable plugged in my other PC hangs on "loading your personal settings" for about 2 minutes. When I unplug the crossover the logon goes in about 12 seconds.

Any advice is muchly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Alex
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2007, 01:07 PM
    I'm slightly confused by your setup here.
    I'm at a loss to try to understand WHY you are not only using a ROUTER, but cross over connection as well.
    The whole purpose of the router is for your network.
    All your file and print sharing can be done with this connection and NOT over a cross over.

It's hardly surprising that the cross over is causing problems as you are confusing the network setting of your machine as it doesn't know where to route data.

Here's a couple of How-To's for networking
    Wired networking Guide
    Wireless Networking Guide
    Should give you some more ideas.

Remember the KISS Principle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Network Connection [ 1 Answers ]

I need help in determining why my network connection has slowed after being added to a new domain. This is a concern because there are approximately 50 other computers linked to this new domain with no problems. The problem occurred when our system administrator had swapped one win 2000 server out...

Home Wireless network + Cable Internet [ 4 Answers ]

So cable internet finally got cheap enough here in Croatia, and I consider switching to it. I'm currently using a LAN of 3 computers, connected through a switch. I'm also considering switching to wireless network because I'll have to move the main computer to another room, which would cause me to...

Plugged drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have a drinking fountain with a plugged drain, no flow at all. I took the trap apart, and it was open. The drain starts as chromed brass a little over 1'' OD. Where it goes into the wall, it is 1'' or 1 1/4'' galvanized with a compression fitting for the chrome pipe. I managed to get the...

Slow network [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir or madam I have a network with win nt4 server and 30 win 2000 clientes ,my problem is :sometimes my network becomes very slow even the clients work localy I mean (they work on their own PC with graphic applicationes such as corel draw and photo shope and their hard disk) and do not...

View more questions Search