Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skrpn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Ex-roommate refuses to pay rent and deposit back
    Hi,

I moved in with someone I considered like a brother into an apartment in Philadelphia in May 2005. I knew him for over a year and a half before we moved in together when he was in college and I had started working. He would have money issues and I would pay for his share of the rent and utilities. He would always repay me back.

I moved to columbus in August 2006. He decided to stay in the apartment and got a friend of his to take over my lease. I was supposed to get my share of the deposit from the friend as well as the remainder of the rent and utility bills which totalled about $1500. Both of them mentioned that they would pay me asap. I left without taking any money as I felt I was dealing with someone real close to me.

I have emails from him (September) stating I will get all the money from him and that I should not worry about it. Recently, he stopped answering my calls and emails. I still felt that it was nothing serious as he was really close to me. I met him last week when I went down to Philadelphia and he gave me about $500 back. Today I received an email from him stating that he is not going to pay me any more and some other personal stuff about how he's going to screw me because I apparently have been using him all this while!

The personal stuff aside, I am contemplating suing him in a small claims court. We didn't have any roommate agreement but used an excel sheet where we kept tally of all payments and stuff. Before I left, we orally agreed upon the amount that I should be receiving. I am wondering if I have a strong enough case to sue him in court. I have emails which state he owes me money. I have the email where he said he won't pay me anymore. I was taken off the lease in August but haven't received my share of the deposit. Please help. I realize I am being screwed over and am still in shock from the email that I received today. Its not pretty.

Muchos Gracias.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Well, good thing you have the Excel spreadsheets. That will be good in small claims court. Plus the emails. Keep everything and anything that has any connotation of the verbal agreement, any lease agreement, conversations, etc. It does not sound like he is going to give you the remainder so I would go the small claims court route. Best of luck to you. It is sad to say, but one cannot trust anyone anymore without something concrete written down and agreed to, by a signature on the paper. When it comes to money matters, trust no one.
    skrpn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Thanks for your response. It sucks because I am usually pragmatic about loaning money to people. I don't know what happened to him between September and now.

Regarding proofs- I usually deposited all amounts that I received from him and my third (Non-lease) roommate in my bank. I don't have all statements but believe I can show that the rent was always paid by me via checks. Utilities and Cable/internet were in my name. I am sure that I can prove he paid me for rent and utilities until may of 2006. It's the last three months that he hasn't paid.
    My question is - Can I prove that he didn't pay me the amount I am stating since there were no checks or cash deposited in my bank a/c during that period. Also, his letter states that he knows he owes me. But the amount is not mentioned. Will it be an issue of his word against mine wrt the amount he owes me? Or will the spreadsheet suffice as proof?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2007, 09:03 AM
    You have the acknowledgement from him that he still owes you money. If he can prove amounts paid until May of 2006 and cannot verify the last three months, I would think you have an excellent leg to stand on. The court will see his acknowledgement and that will be beneficial to you. Up to the judge to make the fiscal decision.

I completely understand how you would trust someone who has been like a brother. We all make those decisions and trust people that are essential to our lives. It hurts and one wonders how such a relationship can be repaired, or if it is repairable. I truly wish you the best in this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3rd Roommate Left, What About Her Deposit [ 1 Answers ]

I Moved In With 2 Other Girls Into A Furnished Apt. In Honolulu, Hi Over 3 Years Ago. One Of The Roommates Moved Out After 1 Year. My Boyfriend Moved In. She Was Scared To Ask Him For Her Share Of The Security Deposit So She Left & I Am Not In Contact With Her Any Longer. The Second Roommate...

Roommate not paying rent, but leaving in 3 weeks. [ 3 Answers ]

My roommate is moving out oct 26, 2006 - he is not on the lease, I am, and we have a verbal agreement.. he has been OK up to this point - last month he paid 1/2 his rent and this month he has still not paid. What I am asking is, if he does not pay this months rent, and he is out in 3 weeks...

Help roommate moved out and refuses to pay rent [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are on a lease with someone in NC. The rent is $800. My boyfriend actually pays rent somewhere else but basically lives with me. Before the "someone" moved in I informed them that my boyfriend basically lives with me. She said okay and agreed to paying half the rent. She...

I've terminated a lease but roommate refuses to move out [ 2 Answers ]

I have a roommate which I've given a 30 day notice in writing to terminate the lease agreement (I've posted on the door and had a witness sign it who viewed me posting it to the front of the door since the roommate and I don't get along and my fiancé an I want to live alone and start a family. ...

One of Co-Tenants refusing to pay rent and security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

In my house in New Brunswick, NJ, one of my co-tenants is making an extremely unfair demand that would cause 8 of us to suffer unfairly because of that one person. The co-tenant says that if we don't agree to the demand, then she won't pay her security deposit and rent. Do we have to worry...

View more questions Search