Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbabbycakes1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 08:41 PM
    I've lived in this house 3 years and my boyfriend died can they charge me rent?
    My boyfriend purchased this house in columbia tn so I could have a place to live and be close to my family he would stay on and off until he got cancer which he was living here with me till he passed he was going to make a will sao I would have a lifetime diary but got brain cancer and passed rather quickly now his kids want me to pay rent I'm on dissability and can only afford the ulilities which I told him can they make me pay rent
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 13, 2010, 08:45 PM

Yes, they can even evict you if they want, if he did not leave you the house in the will, someone else owns it, and they may do anything they want with the house.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2010, 08:34 AM

This is an all too common occurrence when people trust to love and don't get things in writing.

You and your boyfriend had THREE years to document his wishes that you be allowed to live in the house and you both failed to do so. Now you are paying the price. Unless you have some concrete and documented proof that this was his intention, then you are stuck. The house went to his heirs and they now own it and can do with it as they see fit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much should I charge my boyfriend for rent? [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend of 4 months has just moved to my city to be closer to me. He was unable to find a house and is staying with me temporarily until he finds the right place. I have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house. Both of us are in our early 40s and we get along very well so it's been very nice having him...

Lived in house 20 years rent free, now owner wanted to charge. [ 9 Answers ]

I am in a huge dilemma that I could not sum up in the subject line. Let me try to make this as simple as possible (cause trust me its complicated! ) and someone PLEASE help me!! My mom has lived in her house rent free for 20 years. She was married to the owner *** brother until he passed away...

Can I charge rent for belonging left in house. [ 1 Answers ]

Me and my friend moved from out of state to S.C. we agreed to rent a house and split the rent. We moved all the stuff in and she ended up staying at a guys. Now I'm here with all her stuff. Can I still charge rent? There is no lease and she paid rent for the first month. I still have her stuff can...

Can a landlord charge me for new carpet and new paint when I lived there for 10 years [ 2 Answers ]

Can a land lord charge me for new carpet and new paint,they kept my deposit and still charging me $3,000 and I lived there 10 years and it caused me to get terminated from my section 8 I requested a hearing,and I can prove that the carpet was at least 18 to 20 years old

Boyfriend of 11 years died [ 6 Answers ]

Iwas living with my boyfriend and his mother for over 11 years he died almost 7 months ago I live here with her take care of her pay rent my name is on the lease.. she got over $75,000 from when he passed away. I stay in the room we shared with all of our stuff I can't live here anymore his mother...

View more questions Search