Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smcgovern2010 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 06:46 AM
    I have a 15yr old daughter that wants her father to relinquish his parental rights.
    Can this be done in the state of Texas and how do I help her get this? He has had nothing to do with them and is now remarried to 3rd wife with child. She wishes to be adopted by her step-father. Her father was physically and emotionally abusive to her and her brother. He lives in Ohio and we live in Texas. What are the steps I take to file this on her behalf?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 13, 2010, 06:53 AM

1. if he has nothing to do with her, how is he abusive ?

2. if he lives in another state , how often does he visit, how often does she travel up there

3. is he paying his court ordered child support ?

Basically you hire an attorney who will send the bio father forms for him to sign that will sign away his rights to allow for the adoption.
    smcgovern2010 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 07:05 AM
    1. They refused to go back 3 yrs ago which was the last time they were there. He has not asked for them since I feel is because he knows what he did. He has not called them since or send letter or cards even.
    2. We were never married so there has never been visitation done other than I allowed him to see them for 2 months during the summers which stopped via him and kids.
    3. Yes he had child support order done in Ohio when I moved back home to TX 8 yrs ago. $50 month for 2 children. But he pays $10 a week.

Guess my question is can I file myself. We don't have money for an attorney.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 13, 2010, 07:07 AM
    You are looking at this from the wrong angle. What you and your daughter wants is for her step father to adopt her.

As part of the process of that adoption her father will need to relinquish his rights. So you engage an attorney to prepare the adoption paperwork. As part of that paperwork, the attorney will prepare the relinquishment of parental rights.

If he refuses to sign, then you may have problems getting his rights terminated. However, if you point out that this will end his support obligation he may agree. You really want an attorney to do this to make sure its done right. Shop around for one.

You may be able to do this yourself, I would check with a local law school to see if they have a clinic to help you prepare the paperwork.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 13, 2010, 07:34 AM

I will note that the adoption process is very complicated, and if anything is done wrong, years from now it may turn out not to be valid ( lets say a dispute over an estate)

Also the process to allow him to give up his rights ( if he will sign) is complicated.

If he will not merely sign his rights over, then there is almost no way to do it yourself.
    But to be honest even the ones of us who know the law, would not do it ourself,
    1. we get to personal and emotional over it and often forget because of it
    2. one error, can get it all though out.
    3. it will many forms, and filings, I would be surprised if it is not 40 to 50 pages before you are done. One error can get it all kicked out to be refiled.

I had a divorce with child custody a couple of years ago, while I represented myself in court, I did hire an attorney to do and review all of the paper work, that was cheaper than him representing me in court, but still had him do or review all the paper work,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my 15yr old daughter move in with her biological father without my constent? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is 15 yrs old, her biological father was put on child support about 3 yrs ago. He recently married and started encouraging my daughter that he wants to start raising her. We live in two different states and this is causing a lot of issues in my household. Since I will not let her...

I want the father of my daughter to relinquish his rights [ 18 Answers ]

I have been divorced for over a year and it has been a constant struggle with my ex. He lives in Florida and I live in Tennessee with our daughter. He does not think he should have to pay child suppport and hasn't and now that he is in trouble for back pay he blames me. His girlfriend harasses...

Questions regarding Request from father to terminate parental rights to daughter [ 1 Answers ]

I recently found out that my ex, the father of my daughter would like to relinquish his parental rights. He has been ordered to pay child support and there are no issues with that, since everything is ordered through the Courts. He has ordered visitation and has not acted on it. There is no contact...

Father wants to relinquish parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania. My daughter is almost 6 years old. Her biological father has not seen her since she was 12 days old but he has been paying child support for about 6 months now. I've been remarried for 4 1/2 years and my daughter has known my new husband as her father since she was 7...

View more questions Search