Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kevindobson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2010, 01:55 PM
    Reducing run off time for hot water supply to taps.
    My central heating hot water system is an oil fired boiler (Baymak Fatih-Goksel). This works by directly circulating water from the boiler around the radiators. Hot water is heated by a coil within a tank in the boiler, this is instantaneous. Each water circuit is independent of the other. i.e. no mixing of the water, and by various combinations of manual valves I can have HW only, CH only, or both together, although there is only one timer on the boiler. Future plan is to motorize the valves and install a dual circuit programmer.
    In summer the hot water comes via solar energy and the 2 systems are separated by means of manual valves.
    Hot water from both systems is good and pressure is "mains pressure"
    Problem is --- the boiler is installed in an out building some way from the house (the solar panels are on the roof of this outbuilding). On turning on the hot water in the house there is a very long delay before the hot water finally arrives at the tap. When showering or bathing this is not too much of a problem but when all that is required is a sink of water or to wash hands, then I probably have to run 10+ gallons before getting hot water.

Is it possible to install an instantaneous electric water heater into the hot water system within the utility room for the whole house. Basically what I require is for the hot water pipe from the boiler / solar panels to feed into the heater (at point of entry to house) then to the house hot water system. Therefore on turning the hot water tap on, hot water arrives quicker. However when the hot water eventually arrives at the electric heater from the boiler / solar I need the heater to switch off automatically and continue to allow the hot water from the oil boiler / solar system through.

What would be required in addition to the inline heater if anything to carry out this system ?
    Would a thermostatically controlled in line heater slot straight into the hot water system? If so could one be recommended.
    Could anyone recommend alternatives to overcome this problem. Please note cost of moving boiler / solar panels would be prohibitive and involve major reconstruction.

Thank you

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water coming from cold side tap even though hot water supply shut off [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I been having problem for past year now hot water comes from the cold side tap, I only have 1 tap that shares water hot and cold the other 2 I have are 2 separate hot cold and 2 are just cold taps now I have even shut the cold water supply to the hot water tank off, but yet when I run the...

Reducing home water pressure partially shut supply valve [ 6 Answers ]

When I flush the toilets, turn on the washing machine or kitchen fawcet (cold water only) there is a quick groaning noise somewhere in the pipe system. I turned off the main intake valve, opened all the fawcets, etc. and drained the system and then recharged it; installed Sioux Chief water hammer...

No hot water from thermostatic mixer shower. Hot water coming from all other taps. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Yesterday out of the blue my mixer shower went cold. All the other taps in the house have hot water and the boiler seems fine. The hot pipe leading to the shower is still hot it just doesn't seem to be coming through. This is the shower I've got.. Homebase - Make a House a Home Any...

Radiators hot but hot water from taps luke warm [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, First of all I am novice.. a real novice when it comes to plumbing, so please be easy on me :) I hope someone can shed some light on this weird problem. I have a conventional boiler with a hot water tank in the bathroom and 2 tanks in the loft. The radiators in the house are fine, they...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.