Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harvester Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2010, 11:01 AM
    I worked full time for my wife's business which is a sole propriotorship can I collect
    My wife's business is a D B A in the state of Ma. It employs approx 20 people .I work seasonally full time for her business which is a sole propriatorship. I have recently been laid off.. may I collect unemployment compensation. I did this in the past without a problem... this time I was denied on the basis I am a spouse ( mass law chapter 151 a section 6d) also they say I might have to repay the previous claim. Both the company and myself have contributed all the proper taxes etc. Mass law also states that if you work on the property you must be an emplyee and pay necessary taxes and receive a w-2 statement and not a contract worker who would receive a 1099. Do you see any conflict ?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 10, 2010, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by harvester View Post
    My wife's business is a D B A in the state of Ma. It employs approx 20 people .I work seasonally full time for her business which is a sole propriatorship. I have recently been laid off.. may I collect unemployment compensation. I did this in the past without a problem... this time I was denied on the basis I am a spouse ( mass law chapter 151 a section 6d) also they say I might have to repay the previous claim.. .
    That's what it says, all right:
    Section 6. The term “employment” shall not include:
    (d) Service performed by an individual in the employ of his son, daughter or spouse, and service performed by a child under the age of eighteen in the employ of his father or mother;
    General Laws: CHAPTER 151A, Section 6

This is a common unemployment insurance provision. Look at the statute I quoted. It has a number of services that are not deemed to be "employment". Although I don't see it there, I doubt that your wife could claim UI. Perhaps there is an exemption from the requirement to pay into the program for you and your wife. Ask your accountant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What contitues full time to get full time benefits? [ 1 Answers ]

My son works on average over 40 hours a week.He works in a hospital in NJ. He does receive overetime when he works over 40 Hours. However he is considered a part time employee and they will not give him a full time listed position even though most of the time he works 40 hours or more. There fore...

Where do I collect unemployment? (worked from home in CA for DC company) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I worked for my company for 5 years. It's based out of DC, and I worked in the DC office for 3 years... then I relocated to Boston for 1 year and worked out of my home there... then I moved to CA about a year ago and also have been working from home. I got laid off a week ago and I can't...

Full sole custody [ 3 Answers ]

My children's birth certicficate has only my name on it, so does that mean I have full custody of them? If not how do I go about making sure I have full sole custody?

Full time student with Full time housewife [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Hope someone can help. I am going to professional school. My wife and I have three children and are living completely off student loans. We had no income in 2006 that had a W2 attached to it. That is, the only income we made was off eBay and odd end jobs throughout the year. Do I need...

Worked full year in CT , but live in MA [ 1 Answers ]

I know that I have to file state returns for both. My question is CT took out $1,950 in state taxes, and MA only took out $193. Do I have to pay Ma income tax even if I worked in CT for the full year? Thank you for any help you can give me on this.

View more questions Search