Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    KoolAide187's Avatar
    KoolAide187 Posts: 94, Reputation: 21
    Junior Member

    Nov 9, 2010, 08:27 AM
    My wife and I are getting a divorce... question about child support.
    She was pregnant and moved to Arizona where as I live in Arkansas. She had the baby in Arizona and filed for divorce there. Am I suppose to pay child support for Arizona or Arkansas standards? Because I live in Arkansas it's a much lower cost of living state. People don't make nearly as much here salary wise as they would if they lived in Arizona.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

    Nov 9, 2010, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolAide187 View Post
    Am I suppose to pay child support for Arizona or Arkansas standards?
    Hello K:

    Arizona, because that's where they live, and those are the courts she filed in.

    KoolAide187's Avatar
    KoolAide187 Posts: 94, Reputation: 21
    Junior Member

    Nov 9, 2010, 08:57 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    Ouch that's going to hurt. Thanks for the info though.
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,701, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

    Nov 9, 2010, 01:44 PM

    How long has she lived in Arizona? What paperwork has already been filed?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Nov 9, 2010, 06:37 PM

    You pay in the state where the case is heard and ruled on.
    If that is done in her state then they will rule.

    No matter what state, it is normally always based on earnings.
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Nov 11, 2010, 09:14 AM

    First of all, she has to establish legal residency in Arizona before she can file for divorce, child support or anything else. I don't know about Arizona specifically but in my state one must have resided in the jurisdiction for at least 1 year in order to file for a divorce. However, if she does establish residency in Arizona, then that is where she'll file for child support and the amount to be paid will be based on their guidelines, using your income as reported on your tax return or similar documentation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not the biological dad; pays child support; wife filed for divorce. [ 4 Answers ]

The divorce was filed in September 2009. I found out I wasn't the biological dad December 2009 but now there is a court date scheduled to discuss custody and visitation which I want no parts of. Am I legally responsible for this situation anymore? She is also pregnant by another man now and someone...

My wife and I are getting a divorce, do I have rights to my unborn child [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are talking about getting a divorce , she said she wants to go back to Australia with my unborn son. I told her she can't do that, that I have rights to him too. She keeps saying I have no rights to him since he is still in her body. Is this true, can I stop her, do I have rights. I...

Ex-Wife not paying child support of seeing the child [ 10 Answers ]

We just recently got the divorce final my I got custody and she is suppose to have visitation every other weekend she will pick her up Friday and drop her off Saturday. She was suppose to take her for the whole month of June and July but said she cannot because she has no one to watch her. She...

Divorce and child support [ 5 Answers ]

I have been married for 18 years. I have 3 kids. We both are agreeing on a divorce. 2 kids want to live with him. 1 wants to move to another state with me. Question is will I have to pay my husband child support?

Child support after divorce [ 8 Answers ]

I have been divorced for a year now and have two children. My ex ended up with custody of the children. I have visitations with the children staying with me. I am in public housing that includes my children on the lease. Plus am on food stamps that includes the children. I do work, but my income is...

View more questions Search