Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ravellan75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Subpeonas and Judgments
    Hello, I am a 27 year old NEW mother. I was just informed that I was served at my parents address last month to appear in court for a mediation for a judgment. I obviously didn't attend since I did not get the paper work in time and was unaware of the mediaiton. Nothing was signed by my parents as having them received on a specific date, in the court house, the document did not show any "received signatures". I have another judgment on my file which I was FORCEd to sign without being able to go up to a judge. The Opposing Counsel informed me to sign or they were going to garnish my wages at that time. I signed the document , but I wastn even working at the time and he knew that. This is all catching up to me since I messed up back at the age of 21. I don't kow what to do. I was advised to file a motion in the court and try to see a judge to plea why I didn't make it, but I barely started working again, I'm still in school and a new mother, Fairly new at the marriage thing as well. Can someone please advise as to what I can do regarding both of my judgments. I am looking for information as to statue of limitations on these credit cards as well.

Thank you
    Frustrated:(
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2007, 09:39 AM
    What state do you live?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 4, 2007, 10:01 AM
    I'm confused. You weren't working at the time yet you succumbed to a threat that they were going to garnish your non-existant wages so you signed a paper that effectively gave up your right to due process. Girl, you messed up! Did you really think OPPOSING counsel was going to tell you the truth? Now its possible, they still would have gotten the judgement in court, but you just handed it to them on a silver platter!

Second, are your parents mad at you? If they were served with a summons, why did they wait so long to tell you? Now you have to go to the court and explain the summons was not forwarded to you and petition to vacate the judgement and ask for a new hearing. Of course you might not want to bother with this if you know the debt is valid and they will win the case anyway.

So you next option depends on your current status. Do you have any assets they can attach? You say you are a new mother but don't say if your married. If you are and have any bank accounts or other assets held JOINTLY with your husband, those can be attached. If you have no assets and no earned income, then there is nothing to pay. You might consider a bankruptcy. If you do have income, then contact the creditors and try and arrange a payment plan you can live with.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2007, 10:46 AM
    And of course there is an option of bankruptcy, if you have been out of work due to medial issues. And you did not mention what type of debts, often if the debts are too large and the chances of ever paying them back too small there is little choice. This is normally my last choice but it is a choice.

And never believe their attorneys, they lie, as do collection agencies.
    Next sign or agree or even acknowledge anything unless you know fully what you are doing.

You can file a motion to stay the judgement because you were not served properly, there would be a hearing to see if the service meet your states legal requirements.

But if you owe them the money and they can prove it, and you have not offered a payment plan that is worth while, they can get a judgement and they can really garnish your wages once they have a judgement on file

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Creditor judgments [ 1 Answers ]

How long do credit card companies wait before filing judgements against you?

Judgments and bank accounts [ 3 Answers ]

My Wife and I are involved in a law suit , we are the defendants, my name can be removed from the suit my wife can not be removed, should she lose in court and a judgment is entered against her, if I removed her name from the bank accounts will this protect me from them attaching it?

Credit Card Judgments [ 5 Answers ]

I have two credit card judgments against me (judgment include attorney fees and original amounts of the credit plus interest). The creditors did their part, it was me who went into a panic attack, fell into a deep depression, and avoided their calls and attempts to resolve the issues.. I now have...

Financial judgments in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

I have serious financial problems & already have 1 credit card judgment. I had a free consultation with an attorney that advised due to the amount of debt, I could file bankruptcy but I didn't have the money to pay for that. He advised that I could just let everything go since I was unable to...

Credit Reports / Judgments [ 4 Answers ]

If the three major credit reports don't show any judgments against me does that really mean there are done against me? How do you go about finding if you have judgments against you for credit card debt? I just want to make sure that if I stand my ground about this ten year old debt that I...

View more questions Search