Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Freddy_1976 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2010, 11:27 AM
    Tax treaty USA/Italy
    Hello,
    I have a question related to the non-resident alien/tax exmption problems.
    I was hired in the USA, University of Arizona, on October 1th, 2009.
    For the fiscal year 2009 I used the Italy/USA tax treaty, article 20:
    According to this article italians working in the USA as teacher/researchers are tax exempt for the first two years.
    My questions are:
    1) Will I be exempt from both federal and state taxes until September 30th 2011, or I will not have exemption from one
    Of these taxes already starting on January 1st 2011?
    2) If I will be still working with the same employer in the USA after September 30th 2011
    I will not be able to claim any exemption for the period starting on October 1st 2011. But the question is:
    Will I have to pay back all the taxes which I did not pay thanks to the tax treaty for the first two years
    (October 1st 2009 - September 30th 2011)?
    Thanks
    Freddy
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 3, 2010, 01:11 PM
    This question requires some in-depth research and review of the tax treaty itself, something I will NOT do without compensation.

As the cliché goes: Time is money!
    AliTax Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2012, 01:11 PM
    The answer to this question depends upon the facts and circumstances of this case. I do this kind of thing for a living, and can corroborate that it takes a lot of research to determine exactly how it applies to you.
    AliTax Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2012, 10:17 AM
    My understanding is that the Italy treaty does not have a recapture provision. The treaty did change in 2010 though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax treaty usa italy [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everybody, I'm a Italian postdoc in an American university since Aug 2009 (j1-visa). I was research scholar in a different American university in 2006-2007 before going back to Italy (j1-visa as well). May I apply for Italy-USA tax treaty in 2009 if I already applied in 2006? The programs...

USA-Italy tax treaty [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I arrived to the States this last week and will do a post-doc (research) here. I was told to fill a 8233 form in order not to pay taxes in the US (as I already pay them in Italy). The first question does anyone know what is the Tax treaty article for Italy in the US? The second question is...

USA-Italy tax treaty applicabilty [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question about the taxes exemption under international agreements between USA and Italy for non-resident aliens. I am in US since a few weeks under J-1 VISA. I am here as a post-doc researcher. The tax office of the institute says I cannot apply to any tax exemption because...

G1 visa - Italy USA tax treaty art. 19 [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an Italian citizen working for the Italian Government at the UN . Prior the G1 visa, I was on a B1/B2,J1, E2, G2 changed into G1 visa, all of them issued in Italy. I always paid taxes in USA; I wish to understand if I'm still considered resident for taxes purposes in the USA. I'm...

Usa-italy tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am an Italian PhD doing a research fellowship UCSF. I am here on a J-1 visa, arrived July 2004 and leaving 2007. I am filing my tax return now, and I don't know if I can apply for the exemption based on the treaty with Italy or not. If I claim the exemption now, am I going to pay all...

View more questions Search