Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dave connor Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 07:51 PM
    Garage electrical feed
    Recently had an electrical contractor come in and upgrade the old 70 amp service to house. He put in a new Federal Pioneer 60 Amp Main on a 24 circuit panel explaining that is all we would probably need due to the demands we have and may possibly have in the future. I still have 5 empty circuits in panel.

Two 15 amp circuits had been running to the Garage/Shop fed by 14/3 and then split in the garage feeding two separate circuits, each on its own 15 amp breaker.

When the switch over was made the electrician used a double pole 15 amp single breaker.
    Now I assume ( it has't happened yet, but may) if the circuit is overloaded both circuits in the garage will be without power.

Why this was done I don't know, but My question is--Can I just remove the double pole breaker and go back to two single 15 amp circuits for the Garage/Shop as before.

In the past I have had a circuit overload and have still had power on the remaining circuit. Much handier.

Tks. Dave.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2007, 08:59 PM
    First, can you tell me what a new Federal Pioneer 60 Amp Main is?

The minimum size service allowed ,in the US, is 100 amp.

On the 2 pole CB, is there any outlets that have both circuits connected? This is the only time a 2 pole CB is required for a multi-wire circuit.

If not, then the electrician may be confused and think he needs a 2 pole Cb for any multiwire circuit.

If there is no outlet with both circuits connected to it, then using two separate breakers is no problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Feed Me! [ 7 Answers ]

I am going on vacation and wanted to know exactly how long leopard geckos can go without food (of course I'm not going to leave him alone for 2 weeks, I just want to know.)

No video feed to TV [ 1 Answers ]

I have a denon surround receiver that is hooked up to a plasma screen,cable/dvr and dvd player. System was working properly. I turned off TV with harmony universal remote. Later turned on TV again and now the screen says component 1 no signal. No matter what I do I cannot get the video to turn...

Kitten trying to feed still. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my cat had kittens on 18th June, 3 have left and I've kept one, she is fully weaned,eating nicely,mother has been spayed and is all dried up of milk, yet I have noticed the kittens still trying to suckle and the mother is letting her even though there is nothing coming out, is this normal, was...

View more questions Search