Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    fkazanow's Avatar
    fkazanow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 31, 2010, 05:06 AM
    Is it illegal to remove funds from a dead parents account?
    My Dad gave me his cards and pin numbers just before he died. He's left everything else a mess, no will, my dead mother's name still on his life insurance policy and 401k. Is it illegal for me to use these cards? He lived in the state of Florida.
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Oct 31, 2010, 05:18 AM

    Strictly speaking, it may be. Gather together all info and documents that you have and talk with a probate attorney immediately. (S)he will be able to advise you on how to proceed to straighten everything out.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Oct 31, 2010, 05:23 AM

    Once a person is deceased only the appointed executor of their estate can legally access or control assets of the estate.

    You will need to probate the estate to establish the heirs to get the life insurance and 401(k) funds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hold on funds in bank account [ 3 Answers ]

My account says I have 400 dollars and I have a hold on 500 dollars.. will I still be able to take money out of my bank? What does a hold mean?

Withdrwaing funds from deceased account [ 2 Answers ]

My Granda just recently passed on 10/21/08. She has monthly payments from her retirement and from Social Secuiry that are direct depoited into her acoount monthly. After her death I called both offices and advised then of her passing. I just checked her account and noticed that the retirement was...

Release funds in a frozen account [ 2 Answers ]

If anyone can help it would be great. I have a bank account that has been frozen by the courts for a judgement that was entered against me. After the judgement was entered against me I filed bankruptcy. This judgement was included in my bankruptcy. I want to get the funds out of this account the...

Leaving funds in US account [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I will be moving to the US from the UK on an H1-B visa for a job that lasts 3 years. At the end of that period, I expect to have saved a sum of money in a US bank account. My question is this: Am I allowed to keep a bank account open in the US under my name when I leave permanently and,...

Garnished bank account funds [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Texas. In 1999 I had a business that failed. One company that I owed filed a judgement. Now I have been told by my bank that my bank account funds have been garnished, from said judgement. According to Texas Law only tax levies can garnish a bank account. I have filed and signed a letter...

View more questions Search