Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sympathetic Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2010, 05:26 PM
    Co worker overstayed tourist visa?
    He came to the US over 20 years ago and has been living here illegally ever since. He has been married to a US citizen the last 2 years and they have 2 kids with another on the way. He has been convicted of a crime, not sure what exactly but served at least 2 years in jail. He works under the table paid cash so I don't think id theft or fraud is an issue. Is there any way he can adjust his status through his wife?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Oct 30, 2010, 07:44 PM

Depends on nature of crime... if it's felony, I don't think he has a chance.
    Sympathetic Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2010, 02:56 AM
    Comment on lawanwadee's post
    Can you give me anymore insight? Please
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Nov 6, 2010, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sympathetic View Post
    He came to the US over 20 years ago and has been living here illegally ever since. He has been married to a US citizen the last 2 years and they have 2 kids with another on the way. He has been convicted of a crime, not sure what exactly but served at least 2 years in jail. He works under the table paid cash so i don't think id theft or fraud is an issue. Is there any way he can adjust his status through his wife?
    If he entered the US lawfully, then he is now a visa overstay, with unauthorized employment, but hopefully no 'false claim to citizenship.'

The marriage to the USC allows for adjustment of status and forgiveness of the overstay and the unauthorized employment. Please note, there is no waiver for a 'false claim to citizenship.'

Lawanwadee is correct, need more information about the arrests, charges and convictions. The amount of time served is not as important as the actual charge and the maximum period of that that could have been imposed for that criminal violation.

The nature of the charge, his age at the time of the commission and conviction and several other factors must be checked to see if it qualifies as an exception (petty offense, youthful offender and simple possession MJ) to the criminal grounds of inadmissibility under INA section 212(a)(2) or if the crime allows for a waiver based on a hardship to a qualifying USC relative (spouse).

Aggravated felonies, crimes involving moral turpitude, most domestic violence violations, firearms violations and CSA violations will all be problematic.

Best to get all documents relating to the offense (charging document, court order and court disposition) and meet with an experienced immigration attorney. Be prepared to explain the hardship to the USC, such as medical conditions, finances, family needs in US, psychological and emotional issues, language, country conditions, etc.

There may be many other issues; EWI entry, immigration violations, immigration filings, etc.

This is only general information based on the limited information provided in your posting. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wife overstayed visa and left the you.S. Can she return? [ 3 Answers ]

I am an American citizen, me and my wife who is British went to live in America in June of 2006. My wife was a first time visitor and entered under the Visa Waiver Program. We got married before the Visa expired and around the same time she found out she was pregnant and our son was born in the...

Overstayed his visa [ 2 Answers ]

I am with a man who came to the US to go to school. His student visa has expired & we have one child together. Is there anything I can do to help him? I have researched this a little & I keep seeing different answers. Some say there is nothing that can be done once his papers expire to help him...

Change london tourist visa to dependent visa [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I'm from Srilanka. I'm studying in UK now. My wife came to UK as a touriest ( She got touriest visa) but I have one year visa to study in UK so I want to change my wife visa to like a depending visa. How to change this. When I finished my study then I and my wife altoghter to go back...

Overstayed visa for 3 years But departed the you.S while under 18 [ 2 Answers ]

I was just curious to ask this because a friend of mine from eastern Europe came to the United States when he was 14 yrs old on a tourist visa with his family. However, he overstayed his visa and stayed in the U.S illegally for almost 3 years. He left the United States voluntarily without being in...

View more questions Search