Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iriefox Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2010, 01:37 PM
    Both employee and independent contractor for same company?
    We have an independent contractor that sells travel - we are a travel agency. She was just hired as an employee now... can she continue as an independent contractor and also be an employee for the same company? I don't think so but our HR department is thinking that she can.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 29, 2010, 01:44 PM

Yes, there is absolutely no reason why she can't be independent and be on the payroll of a company. It is her choice how she handles her taxes and finances.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2010, 02:42 PM

Hello f:

What changed? If the work was getting done when she was a contractor, why did you HIRE her? She can't be both. One has taxes taken out of their wages.. The other gets paid per the project. Once has to put in hours. The other doesn't. One has to show up at the office. The other doesn't. Plus you have to MATCH her unemployment insurance payment, so it costs you MORE to have her as an employee. If it doesn't work out, that rate goes UP. So I don't know WHY you did what you did.

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 29, 2010, 03:27 PM

Hi exxy, I have been both, I still have to pay taxes on what I earn under the table and pay my Canada Pension. At my salaried job, they deduct all pertinent payments.

I have to get used to the US being a different entity in this regard. I guess we are more liberal here in Canada with more opportunities to make a buck nowadays.

Tick
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Oct 31, 2010, 05:36 AM
    Iriefox, if your situation is within the US, the following link will give you a bit of guidance...

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0, id=99921,00.html

For US federal tax law, anyone performing services for your travel agency will need to be classified as either employee or as an independent contractor, as explained at that IRS site. As you can see from the given info, these are mutually exclusive choices with respect to any particular job description. In other words, a person could indeed be both an employee and an indy, but only if such person is performing two completely different services for the company, one of which qualifies as independent, and the other has employee-employer status. In the more typical case in which the individual wears just one hat for your company, then the person will have to be classified as one or the other; both is not an option.

As you see from the info at the IRS site, the answer turns on the nature of the services performed, and other facts and circumstances of the given arrangement. IRS doesn't provide hard-and-fast rules in making the determination, only a set of criteria to be considered in each case. Thus it comes down to a judgement call that you'll make after weighing all the particulars of the situation.
    iriefox Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 05:30 AM
    I have NO idea why they hired her as an employee. I appreciate all the answers. I have been trying to tell him that she can't be both but either he doesn't believe me or doesn't care. I will definitely forward all these answers to him... maybe then he will believe me or start caring :) Thanks again.
    cometsmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2012, 12:09 PM
    I've worked as an IC for a hospital doing medical transcription for 15+ years.

I'm looking at an employee position (part-time) in a completely different department in the same hospital, nothing to do with transcription, to make extra money.

Can I do that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you be both an employee and an independent contractor? [ 17 Answers ]

I have been searching on the IRS website and am trying to determine if a person can be both an employee and an independent contractor. For example, a person works for a company during the day, say doing A/P and then at night they clean the office. For the cleaning the office part, they have their...

Employee/Independent contractor [ 7 Answers ]

I asked my employer/company the following question: How does XXXXXXXXX classify us? As Independent Contractor or Employee's? Everything that I'm reading on the IRS site points to Independent Contractor. There response was: Yes you are considered a contractor.

Independent contractor vs employee [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a debate with colleagues in the dance school industry. I clearly know the difference between an independent contractor and an employee but many still hire teachers and treat them as independent contractors. They give them set hours, a weekly, monthly or hourly salary and have other...

Both Employee and Independent Contractor... [ 13 Answers ]

How do I properly file my taxes if I worked as an Employee and an Independent Contractor at various times throughout the year?

Both Independent Contractor and Employee? [ 6 Answers ]

I work as a marketing assistant for a real estate company, I get a base salary that the company pays, and on top of that I get a "commission bonus" from the specific agents I work for that is paid directly out of pocket by those agents. The commission bonus is based on what those agents themselves...

View more questions Search