Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheArmyGuy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2010, 03:23 PM
    This is a multi part question.
    I am 40 years old, I got married to my wife at the age of 20. We dated since I was too young to drive. I never really had any girlfriends prior to her, dated a few but nothing I would consider serious. We were each others "first." Somewhere around the age of 25, we both mutually agreed to see other people because we were on the verge of divorce, I guess both of us sexually unsatisfied. That went on for about a year or so, and we both decided we still loved each other. We kept the "door open" and though it was never really used just having it there was nice. After the reconnection "we agreed to swinging" We did that once a week for a few years and it was fun for the both of us. Eventually even that got tiresome. I feel we have exhausted all means of keeping the love alive and the excitement in the bedroom. I don't love her the way I did when I was 20, and I didn't at 25 either. My feelings for her have drastically subsided over the past 7 years, with this year being the worst of course. I just don't see it getting better, but mind you I wanted it too so I kept trying and trying to make things better. I still love her as a person, and as a mom, but I don't love her like a husband should, It really eats at me, and I hate myself for it. I just want to give up and move on, but my wife insists that you can't just spend 24 years with someone and stop loving them. I don't think I stopped loving her cause I do, It's just not the same way she wants me to love her. It is to the point that I was really unhappy. I am deployed to Afghanistan I have been here over 8 months now, I would have expected me to actually miss her, but I don't. But she did have a medical problem, and I was concerned for her. Is there something wrong with me? Do relationships fail like this. If they do end under circumstances like this.. How does one end a relationship on "good terms"? Thanks for your input.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 28, 2010, 06:25 PM

Romantic love is entirely difference from 'comfortable, old shoe' love, and then there is no love at all and then just affection. You still fee affection for her, you admit that, but affection is not enough to carry on a monogamous relationship between two people who are still young enough to find new love. No, there is nothing wrong with you. You have fallen out of love for the girl you fell in love with.

There is life after, but you don't mention any children, that is an important part of the 'life after'.

You both can part with good feelings, and on good terms, just work at that part and be determined that is how it should be.

Good luck, I know how you feel.

Ms tickle
    VRon1 Posts: 77, Reputation: 10

Oct 28, 2010, 08:39 PM
    You keep comparing your current love to your past love. What's in the past is there for a reason; to help you decide what to do in the here and now.
    Have you ever read Siddhartha? It's an amazing story about life's journey and understanding.
    Take your love for her and tell her how you feel; she deserves it, and you deserve it. Use your knowledge of love from her and go out and try new things. I'm not saying be a sleeze ball and sleep with tons of women but have fun.
    It sounds like you're stuck in the same routine which cannot help matters much at all.
    TheArmyGuy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2010, 03:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Romantic love is entirely difference from 'comfortable, old shoe' love, and then there is no love at all and then just affection. You still fee affection for her, you admit that, but affection is not enough to carry on a monogamous relationship between two people who are still young enough to find new love. No, there is nothing wrong with you. You have fallen out of love for the girl you fell in love with.

There is life after, but you dont mention any children, that is an important part of the 'life after'.

You both can part with good feelings, and on good terms, just work at that part and be determined that is how it should be.

Good luck, I know how you feel.

ms tickle
    I Guess mentioning the children would be an important factor, I did not mention them because I was more concerned with our relationship. I have tried to explain to her how I feel, but she will not have any part of it. She insists there is no way I can't love her after being together for 24 years. The Kids have been the main reason to stay. They are 8 and 10. They are important to me, My concern is what will be left in 10 years when the kids are all grown up?
    shes_cool Posts: 21, Reputation: 5

Oct 30, 2010, 05:14 AM
    If you are truly and deeply out of love with her, it is unfair to stay. Sit down with her and talk to it directly, be honest and sincere. You deserve to be happy and so does she.
    It will end on good terms if you make it end there. An aunt and uncle of mine who have been married for 14 years, they are now filing for divorce but remain on 'good terms'. You would never have thought they separated in the first place lol but they seem so much happier. And I quote "Look at all the divorces these days- all angry, bitter, twisted and full of hate and rage. We so do not want to be like them- it ages you 10yrs instantly!"

I really hope it goes well for you and your wife. Be strong and be honest.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 30, 2010, 10:04 AM

Get over the idea that you're going to end this on good terms. You're NOT going to get out of this without a fair amount of drama.

Have you tried marriage counseling? Relationships, like anything else worthwhile, take work. You have to continue to nurture your feelings for someone for them not to wither and die.

And frankly, your wife is now past her "prime", with 2 kids, and you really want her to happily cut the strings and let you go, leaving her still caring for you?

It also seems to me that your feelings have gotten less since the kids arrived--what's your thought on that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Part real, part animated 80s movie girl stopms ant [ 1 Answers ]

OH MY GOD. I have been searching and reading online trying to find this movie. All I remember is that part of the movie is real (starts out real)... I feel like the little girl stomps on an anthill... she becomes real... I can't remember much. It is not Katy Caterpillar, Phantom Tollbooth, or...

Two part tenant question seeking answers! [ 2 Answers ]

I apologize beforehand for the novel but the details are pertinent. Presently, I am using my home of six years for shelter for my 3 children and I. Our time here is extremely limited as our landlord lost the house in foreclosure. I have been to court for unlawful detainer and lost to the mortgage...

Multi-Part Financial Management Question! Please HELP! [ 9 Answers ]

Ok guys, I had this as an accounting group project with 1 other member, and she conveniently dropped the class a week ago! So now I'm stuck! Any help would be DEEEPLY APPRECIATED! Background: You have been retained by the professional services firm, Dewey Cheatum & How to provide...

2 part help question.. How to turn up hot wtr. Temp [ 2 Answers ]

I live in S. Daytona, FL. We just purchased a home. First question is how do we trun up the temp on hot water? We have a hot water heater but I have not seen any dials or anything but plumbing connected to it. It takes forever to get the hotwater flowing . We waste more water waiting for it to get...

View more questions Search