Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srivatsann Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2010, 11:16 AM
    Itemized deduction second residence foreign country
    I will be paying interest for my mortgage loan for a new residence bought in a foreign country. The loan was obtained in the same foreign country. I will be paying the interest and principal from my US income as I don't have any income in that foreign country. Can I itemize the mortgage interest in my US tax returns?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 26, 2010, 12:09 PM
    In my opinion, yes. There is NO requirement that the second home be inside the United States for the mortgage interest to be deductible.

However, once they become aware of the deduction, the IRS MAY require that you withhold 30% of the payment to the foreign bank and forward that money to them so that the bank is forced to submit the profits on this transaction to the IRS for taxation.

It is MOST LIKELY that the bank has NO INTENTION of submitting the transaction to the IRS for a tax assessment, and the bank would probably strenuously object to you withholding the money, even if the IRS specifically required it as a matter of U.S. tax law. In that case, you would have to pay the 30% out of YOUR pocket.

Thusly, you are in an interesting quandary. You can claim the deduction and identify the bank to whom you are making the mortgage payments; this is REQUIRED if the mortgage interest is NOT tracked and reported to the IRS on Form 1098. Hopefully, the IRS will accept the deduction without requiring the withholding. However, if the IRS does require the withholding, that will most likely make the deduction worthless if you must make the payment from your own funds.

I have had a number of clienst deduct such mortgage interest paid to foreign banks over the past several years. To date, NONE have been required to make the 30% withholding, but that does NOT mean the IRS will not require it of you.

Your choice on how to proceed.
    srivatsann Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2010, 10:37 PM
    Hi AtlantaTaxExpert,

Thanks for the response. I was told by my friend that the interest must be paid directly to the foreign lender from my US bank account and not through a bank account in the foreign country (I plan to transfer money from US bank to a foreign savings account and issue a check from that account to the lender towards mortgage payments. They don't accept direct US checks). Is there any restriction like that? BTW, I report interest income from my foreign savings bank account in my US tax return - I don't see why not report mortgage interest that I pay off that account. Of course, I understand that I have to be mindful of the 30% withholding issue you mentioned earlier.

Thanks in advance
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 28, 2010, 06:47 AM
    There are likely reporting requirements to the IRS if the check originates from the U.S. which is why the bank refuses to accept checks drawn on a U.S. bank. Same logic on direct transfers from a U.S. bank to the foreign bank.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Oct 28, 2010, 10:37 AM
    And don't forget to file Form 1042 to report the payment of the interest expense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Itemized deduction vs Standard Deduction for Non Resident Alien from India [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on L1 Visa from August 22 2009. I want to file my tax returns and my status is non resident for year 2009 and I have to file form 1040NR-EZ, which I understand correctly. Now my question is there is a one clause in the instruction booklet for filing form 1040NR-EZ that indian...

1099 g standard deduction vs itemized deduction [ 3 Answers ]

Newly wed in 2009. Wife itemized her deductions on her federal return for 2008, I used the standard deduction. We both have 1099 G's in 2009 for state income tax refunds from 2008. Do both amounts have to be entered on 1040, line 10 or just the amount from my wife who itemized last year?

Mortgage interest deduction on primary foreign residence [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We are US expats in Dubai. We are Bona Fide Residents of Dubai, UAE and file a US 1040 (and utlize the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion). This is a two part question. One - can we deduct the Mortgage Interest on the home? Can't find anything in IRS Publications that states 'where' the...

Primary Residence in Foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

If your primary residence is outside the United States (Sweden), and you pay U.S. income taxes, is the interest on the mortgage deductible? Seaman in internaltion waters.

View more questions Search