Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ravlin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 09:46 AM
    401K early withdrawal
    I'm in the process of getting a divorce and I will have to give my spouse some of my 401K. I know that I will have to pay 20% in taxes and a 10% withdrawal fee when it is distributed to him. He will not roll it over since he needs the money to pay his debts. My question is if I'm in a 28% tax bracket, will I have to pay an additional 8% on the amount withdrawn at the end of the tax year in which it was withdrawn? Will my spouse have to pay any taxes on the amount he received?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Actually, the 10% early withdrawal penalty is waived if you can show that the withdrawal is a direct result of the divorce.

Further, you should tell your attorney to roll the money rolled over directly into a rollover IRA in his name. That way, it retains its tax-deferred status and is properly transferred to him as the tax-deferred portion of your marital estate. This way, no taxes will be due on your part.

Then, if he needs the money, HE can make the withdrawal from the rollover IRA and HE will pay the taxes and the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty.

If he refuses to cooperate by not signing off on the rollover IRA set-up, the divorce settlenent should be renegotiated to factor in the additional taxes YOU will have pay by sending the check directly to him. These additional taxes can be easily calculated using tax software.

I had a client who was on the receiving end of the 401K distribution, and her husband had to pay the taxes associated with the distribution because he failed to properly research the matter, nor did he get competent tax advice. For the record, he was ALSO my client (I did their taxes while they were a happy married couple), but I did not find out about the divorce until after the fact. This was a classic case of what you do not know CAN hurt you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

Can you withdraw from a 401 to satisfy a divorce settlement without penalty?

401K early withdrawal [ 15 Answers ]

I have a 401K question about early withdrawel. Actually, let me give you a scenario: 401K balance - $28000.00 I have the understanding that 20% is immediately taken out for federal taxes with an early withdrawel, which would be in this case $5600.00, and that would make the distribution...

How do you get a 401k early withdrawal? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you actually go about getting your 401k withdrawal?what does the total penalty and tax percentage taken off add up to?can you get it at any time of the year? Is it possible for your 401k to be "tied up" when you need it?please help!!

401K Early Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My company was purchased by another company that has established a new 401K. I have not yet done anything with my previous 401K. I would like to take the cash from my previous 401K and pay off my son's school loan. If I use the money to pay of the education loan, I know I will have to pay taxes...

401K early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

I have been laid off due to a work injury. To survive I must cash in my 401k, but I am trying to avoid the early withdrawal penalty. I have not yet been declared disabled but am currently pursuing this. Our family taxable income is only 26,000.00. I am currently receiving workman's compensation...

View more questions Search