Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamatobee Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Jan 1, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Child Support - Father not present for birth
    The father was not present at the birth and did not sign the certificate or Acknowledgement of paternity. I am going to a lawyer about custody and visitation. What rights does the father have and can I still file for support? I'm 100% sure he won't deny paternity.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Being present for the birth has nothing to do with it. Signing the because doesn't either as long as he is listed on it.

He has the right to request a paternity test. He can file for visitation rights and probably be granted them. He can file for joint custody and probably be granted that. Joint custody means he has a right to participate in decisiuons about raising the child, not necessary physical custody. Unless he can prove unfitness you will get physical custody.

You have the right to child support. And yes you can still file for support, even if his name isn't on the because.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2007, 05:33 PM
    As Scott stated, he can be 1000 miles away and he can even deny being the father. That does not matter, he has the right to require a DNA test and have a right to a legal hearing in family court.

So you get your attorney, file for custody of the child ( he will file for visitation) you will file for child support.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2007, 07:58 PM
    You can file for support and he can file for visitation. These would be separate motions. You'll need to prove paternity one way or another ; either by him signing an acknowledgement or by compelling a DNA test.
    mamatobee Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Jan 5, 2007, 11:29 AM
    My baby is only 3 weeks old. I want supervised visitation. Does he have to agree to that. The lawyer I spoke to told me supervised visitation would only be for so long until he would get overnight visitation. Should I wait till the father files for custody. He really isn't pushing the issue... he just wants to visit
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 5, 2007, 11:33 AM
    In the absence of a court order, you are in control. If you don't want to leave them alone, then don't.

Whether he would get a judge to allow unsupervised or overnight visits is a different matter. If he can show he's capable of caring for the kid, it would be hard for a judge to refuse him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father on SSI so no child support? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, My children's father is on SSI and does not pay his court ordered child support. I also know that he has been working under the table for some time now (and is earning more than me) and still will not pay his child support. He is 15 months behind on payments. I had a child support case...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child support when the father works under the table [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Illinois and want to know how the court orders and determines child support when the father works under the table and there is no paper trail of his income. He is currently paying $100 weekly for his daughter but it is not court ordered and he wants nothing to do with a court order,...

Birth Father suddenly wants visitation! [ 13 Answers ]

After not hearing from my ex for 11 years... suddenly he says that he has rights and wants visitation. We divorced 12 years ago, and I was awarded sole custody, and also filed for child support. He has never paid a dime, the phone number that I had for him was disconnected and the only people...

Child Support/Father has no proof of income [ 10 Answers ]

I'm currently 9 months pregnant and having a hard time deciding if I should even attempt to ask for child support. My ex works for his mother's business. He doesn't pay taxes and she just pays him cash whenever. His mom also owns 2 houses, which he lives in for free, no rent, no mortgage, no car...

View more questions Search