Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timtoolman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2010, 05:03 PM
    What is the code for a waste pump basin near a breaker panel
    Thank you. Im installing a waste pump in the basement for a new toilet and wash tub. Can I put the waste pump in the basement floor by my breaker box is there a code or problem with this?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 05:29 PM

I would check with the local plumbing inspecter. This is a grey area in many codes. Sewer ejectors pits are sealed, therefore, not an issue with proximity to eletrical panels.
    In my opinion, you will be just fine.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 05:40 PM

Hi guys...

There are restrictions regarding any pipe with water over, under, or near an electrical panel...

Like MGD77, I'm sure you'll be fine, but just how close will the pump discharge pipe be to the panel? Let us know, OK?

Mark
    timtoolman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2010, 09:08 PM

Hey Thanks Im using 2 inch PVC foe vent pipe and also 2 inch for discharge pipe. The pipes will be a foot or two to the side of the electrical panel. From the floor to the Floor joist its 8 and a half feet span. There's not that much preasure on the line Im just concern having water around electric. Also can I use the 4 inch waste line as a vent pipe and connect my discharge pipe into the same pipe
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2010, 04:01 AM
    The panel needs 30 inch wide clearance in front of the panel, and does not need to be centered, can favor either side of the panel. Having the pipe on one side does not sound like a problem.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 10, 2010, 05:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post

There are restrictions regarding any pipe with water over, under, or near an electrical panel...
    Over? Yes, there are restrictions.
    Under? Same thing.
    Near?? Not at all.

As TK stated, the pipe, basin, pump, anything, can be right next to the panel, provided there is the adequate 30" wide clearance in front of the panel, in any direction.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 10, 2010, 06:40 AM

That's why I had this question moved over from the plumbing forum to the electrical forum guys... wasn't 100% sure on clearances... ;)

Tim, you asked, "Also can I use the 4 inch waste line as a vent pipe and connect my discharge pipe into the same pipe"?

What 4" waste line...the one underground? Sewage ejector systems usually have 2" pipes although some will have a 3" vent.

A sewage ejector usually requires that a 2" (or 3") vent run up and through the roof by itself although some plumbing inspectors will let you connect the ejector vent into the existing main vent stack just before it exits the roof.

The 2" discharge line will connect into your main sewer drain line. You need a 2" check valve here and need to drill a 5/32" hole in the discharge pipe inside the ejector basin (still under the basin cover) to prevent any "air lock" that could damage the ejector pump.

Most important with these systems/pumps is to read the instructions provided with the pump for the best result!

Here is a link for the zoeller sewage ejector pump:

Waste-Mate 266, 267, 268 | Zoeller Pump Company

Click on installation instructions for the 267 pump

Any more questions just let us know...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wash basin below new 50 foot drain line will sump do he job its for water not waste [ 3 Answers ]

Have to run drain line 70 feet away from main stack do I need a additonall vent in drain line or will at the wash basin be enough,water will be pumped up 15 feet to drain line

Looking to fix a leaking basin waste pipe without digging into the wall! [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 1930's block of flats. About a month ago the building needed the down pipes in each flat replaceing. They did this by digging into the wall and replacing it with a plastic down pipe. All good so far... I then got the work plastered over and had my bathroom re-done (I have been living...

Bathroom GFI outlet trips breaker at breaker panel [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all. Our house is approximately 13 years old. Each morning when both the iron and blow dryer is plugged into two separate GFI outlets in the master bathroom, the circuit will trip the 15 amp breaker in the breaker panel. Is it possible to upgrade the breaker to a 20 amp without...

Bath wash basin has extra waste pipe [ 1 Answers ]

The waste pipe on my bathroom basin has an extra pipe about 1/2" dia joining it just below the drain hole in the basin and before the trap. The pipe is flexible and goes off into the wall. Is it an extra drain for something? There is an air conditioning unit in the roof above. The main waste pipe...

View more questions Search