Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockdoc60 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 07:27 PM
    Above ground pool wall rusted through
    I have an above ground 10 year old pool. The liner was replaced for the first time two years ago because of two small holes. The sidewall was starting to rust so they taped a plastic coffee can lid over the holes, installed the liner, and handed me the bill. They told me I could paint the outside but there was no mention of the rust on the inside of the wall. I now have a hole and rusted area at least 6" and the plastic lid is bulging out. I can slip a plastic or metal panel between the sidewall and the liner and I'm OK with a quick fix but I am concerned with the chunks of rust that are embedded in the back of the liner. I have the capability to cut the panel affected panel out (two holes about 7' apart) and rivet in new.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 8, 2010, 05:48 PM

In most cases you can drop the water level, remove the cap and slide material down between the liner and the rusted side wall. I would recommend aluminium, not a steel coffee can like the goof who did you last job.
    rockdoc60 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2010, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    In most cases you can drop the water level, remove the cap and slide material down between the liner and the rusted side wall. I would recommend aluminium, not a steel coffee can like the goof who did you last job.
    Should I be concerned with the rust embedded in the back of the liner?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 11:32 AM

Most of that is a stain of rust, not to worry. However, if it is actual falkes of rust I would flush with soapy water and remove the flakes with apaint brush. If the stain shows as a darl mark on the side that shows you can spray it with Whink Products Company

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Above ground pool side wall painting? [ 6 Answers ]

I have and above ground pool. The exterior side walls have a fabric like coating and is wearing ,aluminum is beginning to show. It their a paint I can use to paint the exterior side walls ? Any help would be great! Thanks Psy:)

Repairing an Above Ground Pool Wall [ 5 Answers ]

Looking for an inexpensive way to repair the wall to our 18 ft Above Ground Pool. It has rust around the skimmer basket and spots all around the wall. I bought a new liner last year and ended up getting a hole in it due to the rust spots. Now that our kids are gone we don't use it enough to...

Pool wall has rusted through. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a very large oval above ground pool. On of the wall sections ha rusted through and completely spit apart. Is it poss to repair this? It is too expensive to replace. No rust anywhere else.

Above ground pool retaining wall [ 2 Answers ]

Please send me information regarding retaining walls for above ground pools. I am having a difficult time with my community and my above ground pool. I am going to have to install a retaining wall around me entire pool, as well as back fill dirt Could you forward any information that you may...

View more questions Search