Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arkadas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 06:16 AM
    Does canada have an extradition treaty with armenia?

Oct 7, 2010, 06:17 AM
    Does canada extradite its own citizens?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 07:44 AM

Yes. Why would they not extradite a citizen, if that citizen has to be brought to trial in Canada where he/she were charged ?

Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 07:48 AM

Yes they do, there are issues on death penalty cases but beyond that, yes they will
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 07:49 AM

This is part of Canada's Extradition Act which doesn't mention specific countries, only 50 are now on the list:

There must also be some kind of legal agreement between Canada and the other country. That can take the form of a binational extradition treaty or some other kind of multilateral agreement that specifically contains provisions dealing with extradition. Canada has signed bilateral extradition treaties with more than 50 countries.
    If the requesting country is an "extradition partner," as listed in the act, formal extradition proceedings can also take place even in the absence of a specific treaty. Many Commonwealth countries, as well as Costa Rica and Japan, are listed in this way. The new Extradition Act also allows international criminal courts or tribunals to request extraditions from Canada.

Oct 7, 2010, 08:09 AM
    Would canada extradite a canadian citizen to armenia for a 1500 dollar fraud case?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2010, 08:12 AM

Could a person be extradited? Yes.

Does it make sense? No.

I find nothing definitive.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2010, 10:00 AM

3 questions by arkadas merged into one.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 10:15 AM

Canada would send the person back if requested, it is the court of the other nation that will make the choice if they will pay the cost of having you sent back. So the question is how bad do they want you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there extradition treaty between philippines and uae? [ 7 Answers ]

Want to know if it's possible to extradite a person from uae back to philippines who is suspected to a crime?

Does anyone have the list of countries that have an extradition treaty with Malta? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have the list of countries that have an extradition treaty with Malta?

Am a eligible for treaty ? F-1 married student from armenia. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am F-1 student from armenia. I have been in the USA since August 2007. I am married and receive salary 25000$. I know that I can't claim for personal exemption form me and for my wife as well. Only resident aliens can claim. Also there is a treaty between us-armenia ( pub 901 , article...

Canada-China tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have heard that due to the Canada-China Tax Treaty signed in 1986, Chinese citizens in Canada can benefit from it in terms of income tax. But I have no idea about the details such as how much tax exemption a Chinese can get, how long a Chinese can enjoy such benefit, if at all, and what...

Canada China Tax Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently working in Taiwan and I'm a Canadian citizen. I'm filing my taxes and I believe Taiwan to be under the current tax treaty between China and Canada as Taiwan is still a member of the Republic of China, therefore I need to know what percentage of my income is exempt under the tax...

View more questions Search