Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    haroldbebe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2010, 10:12 AM
    Correct mother's name in birth certificate
    Please can you direct me to the right source to solve my problem?

My birth certificate is from Syracuse, New York, which I recently received a certified copy from Vital Chek. The problem is with my mother€™s name on my birth certificate, which reads, Irma B. Bueno€. On my mother€™s original birth certificate reads, €œBarbara lrma Lisa Bueno Barrera€ . On my mother€™s wedding certificate reads the same, €œBarbara lrma Lisa Bueno Barrera€.
    What steps must I take to correct my birth certificate with her correct name, €œBarbara lrma Lisa Bueno Barrera€?
    Note; My mother's birth certificate and wedding cwerificate are from Peru.

Thank you.

Harold >Removed Person Info<
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2010, 10:15 AM

Please don't give your personal contact mail address. It's not allowed.

Why are you requesting this change? That might be important.

(Is your question cut and pasted from another site? It is scrambled.)
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 2, 2010, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldbebe View Post
    ... my mother€™s name on my birth certificate, which reads, Irma B. Bueno€.

On my mother€™s original birth certificate reads, €œBarbara lrma Lisa Bueno Barrera€ ...
    When your parents, or whoever, submitted the information for your birth certificate, they probably wrote the name she went by at that time, which may not be the same name written on her Peruvian birth certificate. The New York Vital Statistics department simply recorded the information they were given.

So, as Judy KT asks, what difference does it make?
    garynpeg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2011, 04:14 AM
    I am having an issue with respect to my mother's first name. Legally it is Sxxxx as far as I can tell, as we have no record of her having changed her name. On my birth certificate it read Dxxxx Sxxxx. I am applying for Italian citizenship through her side of the family and they would prefer, I am sure, if the name on her birth cert, Sxxxx, matched the one on mine. Her birth occurred in New York City, mine in New York state. Can I change my birth certificate to read Sxxxx? Thanks
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2011, 07:17 AM

You need to talk to Dept of Vital Statistics for NY - it's on a case-by-case basis (from what I can research). If you can provide PROOF (drivers license, her birth certificate, citizenship papers, something else) that there is an error on your birth certificte you can apply to correct her first name.
    garynpeg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2011, 07:33 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    Thanks. The birth cert is at variance so they will want that. Do you have any idea what else they might want?
    I found a phone number for Vital Statistics Room 254M City Hall Albany, NY 12207. Phone: (518) 434-5045 for any future surfers.
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2011, 08:01 AM

I don't know what you mean by "her birth certificate is at variance."

From what I find you need to provide as much proof as you can find that she NEVER used the name on YOUR birth certificate - if there is ID in her WRONG name they will not change it to the "other" name.

For example, if your name is Anna. Almost everything is in Anna BUT you use the name ANN on occasion (on legal papers such as a drivers license, voting registration) and ANN is on a birth certificate, you CANNOT change it. It is presumed to be a nickname for Anna.

Now that I've confused even myself...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help with figuring the correct amount to distribute from my mother's estate [ 7 Answers ]

I am the executrix of my mother's estate. While my parents were alive, they gave my sister $12,000 from the estate, with the understanding that I would receive $12,000 more from the estate than she, when everything was done. There is approximately $143,800 cash in the estate. If I deduct...

How to correct my daughter's birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

How to correct my daughter's birth certificate?

Can a minor birth mother's parents relinquish rights to the birth father? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Here's the situation: the soon-to-be birth mother is 16, still living with her parents and attending school. The birth father is 18, still lives with his parents but has a job and is generally responsible. The parents of the birth mother want her to put the baby up for adoption and move on...

Changing mother's last name on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 11 weeks pregnant, and the father and I are together, but not married. If we marry after the baby is born, can I have my last name changed on the baby's birth certificate? We live in TN.

How do I correct my daughter's Birth Certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I recently reunited with my first love, and I wanted to have our daughter's birth certificate updated to include his name as the father. I didn't choose to have his name on the certificate due to my stubbornness, and now I would like to have it put on there and present it to him. Does anyone know...

View more questions Search