Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    taxpayer83's Avatar
    taxpayer83 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 1, 2010, 08:58 AM
    Wife on F1 CPT, I'm on H1, Filing Status and FICA taxes

    Can I file 2010 tax return under "joint married" status as I'm a resident for tax purpose (and my wife can be too since I am a resident) and still claim exemption from FICA (social and medicare) taxes.

    If she cannot claim FICA exemption by filing a joint return with me on 1040, on which option would I get a higher refund (considering FICA refund too)? Option a: Filing joint return on 1040 and not claim FICA exemption. OR option b: Filing individual returns, me using a 1040 and her using a 1040NR and claiming FICA refund.

    Right now her employer is deducting FICA taxes from payroll.

    I would appreciate any help on this topic.

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Oct 1, 2010, 12:52 PM

    If you want her to claim a refund of imporperly-withheld FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes using Form 843 and 8316, then you MUST file Married Filing Separately (with you filing Form 1040), while she files Married on Form 1040NR.

    However, it would be better if she just download IRS Pub 519 from Internal Revenue Service, print off page 54-55 and show the employer that she is EXEMPT from the FICA tax to begin with. Once she convinces her employer of this fact, the employer can then make an amendment on the last quarterly Form 941 (Employment Tax) and refund the FICA taxes withheld to date for 2010.

    Once that is done and the employer no longer withholds the FICA tax from her pay for the duration of her F-1 visa, then you can file the annual income tax return jointly without it affecting the FICA tax situation.
    taxpayer83's Avatar
    taxpayer83 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 4, 2010, 09:00 AM


    Thanks a lot for the answer.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Oct 4, 2010, 12:36 PM
    Glad to help!
    taxpayer83's Avatar
    taxpayer83 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 14, 2011, 09:34 AM

    Just to confirm, so if my wife's employer refunds the withheld FICA taxes in 2010, I can still file a joint return using 1040 for 2010? If the employer cannot refund, we will have to use 843 and 8316 and file individual returns(1040 and 1040NR).

    Also, since I didn't know about the FICA exemption, her employer withheld taxes in 2009 and we filed a joint return (1040) and didn't claim FICA exemption in 2009 tax return. Is it still possible to get a refund on 2009 FICA taxes?

    I really appreciate your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TAXES applicable on CPT status [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, Im an Indian.Came to US in May,2008. I came to California and I'm still in California. Im on F-1. Im on CPT. Working in Sacramento/California. My Payroll is run bi-weekly by my employer. My Gross-pay is 2500$ bi-weekly.

FICA taxes for F-1 Student filing taxes jointly? [ 0 Answers ]

Does an F-1 Student have to pay FICA taxes if their spouses are working in the country on H-1 Or L-1 visa and they file their taxes jointly as married. I know that for individual filing I am exempt from these taxes. I have been on F-1 for a year and will be getting paid for my internship here.

Dual-status alien and FICA taxes [ 1 Answers ]

In the post "One more F1 + OPT + H1B + Married + First Year Choice Case" from 4/14/2009, AtlantaTaxExpert stated that "The IRS has since come out with definitive guidance that those who choose to be treated as resident aliens for an entire year will NOT be subject to back-FICA taxes." Can anyone...

Taxes on cpt/opt--joint filing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all I was CPT/OPT last year and my employer cut my medicare and ssn taxes.Me and my husband(He is on H1) are filing taxes jointly so we both are considered ky residents.Am I still eligible for for no tax on medicare and ssn.Also when we are filing jointly we have no option to mention that I...

FICA taxes on opt/cpt [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US on an F-1 visa in Aug 2001. I filed 1040NREZ for years 01, 02, 03, 04, 05. I was on an internship with employer A (a for profit, non higher education employer) in 2006 (at that time I had just filed year 2005 returns as a non resident), and no FICA taxes were withheld...

View more questions Search