Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 1, 2010, 08:17 AM
    When to spay confusion, my kitten is < 4 lbs
    My first ever kitten, now supposedly 4 months old according to the person who gave her to me, but weighs just under 4 pounds. Both the vet site here and the one on webmdpets say to spay at minimum 8 pounds! That seems awfully high to me. I haven't been to the vet yet; I wanted to get shots and spay at the same time.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 1, 2010, 08:26 AM

When did you get her?

4 pounds at 4 months is really little. I have a feeling that the person you got her from wasn't being altogether honest about her age.

I would call your vet, see what they think. I would be very hesitant to spay a kitten that small, but that's really best left up to your vet. Do you have a vet you trust?
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2010, 08:34 AM

I would give her another few months to let her grow. 6 months is the norm.
    I haven't heard of that weight restriction, I wonder if it's more or less a preference with some vets.
    My cat is 8 years old and weighs 6 pounds, she's just a tiny cat.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 1, 2010, 08:42 AM
    The person who gave her to me had a whole house full of cats and kittens, so may have been just guessing. I'll go on the assumption that she is younger for now. Thanks. She appears healthy and I do think she's going to stay on the small side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spay of a female brittany [ 2 Answers ]

Never had a female dog.. what should I expect for a spay. How do I know when to ask for a cone(the one over the head) I have had only one male pup and there was nothing to it. Her suregey is on feb 21. Thanks for the help.

When can I spay my dog? [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know if you have seen my other post, but I have just rescued puppies, and looking at my dog who just had 1 puppy, I want to spay her as soon as I get a chance to but I don't know when I am able to because she just gave birth on 7/3/07

Would like to spay my puppy as soon as I can! [ 5 Answers ]

I would really like to get my puppy spayed as soon as possible because the majority of our neighbors have large male dogs. How old does she have to be to get her spayed? We have a well known Animal Birth Control Clinic where I live that spays and neuters animals for a decent price. They charge...

Infection from Spay? [ 1 Answers ]

Just got a new 8 week old puppy from a rescue service- she was spayed a week and a half ago- she came with kennel cough, so has been on antibiotics but still coughing a decent amount. I am just getting little worried about her stitches on her belly- they seem to be protruding through much...

View more questions Search