Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2006, 06:18 AM
    Engine miss
    I have a Ford Ranger 2001 4.0 SOHC that has a engine miss. It has new plugs (less than 1,000 miles) It seems to to have low idle speed as well as it will sometime die when a stop light. Any ideas as to what to check to correct this problem?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2006, 08:15 AM
    Several thoughts:

1. Make sure the new plugs are the exact make and plug no. that originally came in the truck. Ensure plugs are gapped properly.
    2. Check for faulty spark plug wires, plus check for short circuits in ignition, coil or spark plug wires.
    3. Change fuel filter.
    4. Check for any vacuum leaks--intake manifold and hose connections.
    5. Check/replace the coil, which Autozone can do for free. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=190&ptset=A

6. Determine the procedure to reset your idle speed. I'm not familiar with the procedure on your truck, but it shouldn't be too hard to find out.
    7. Attach a scanner and check for any codes--Autozone can also do this for free. It may give you an idea of where the problem is.
    8. On most Fords, the ECM performs the igniter function. If the information above doesn't solve the problem, you may want to have your computer checked out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I miss her so much [ 5 Answers ]

I met my ex about 5 months after splitting up with a long term partner. Everything was fine between us until my ex partner (long term) found out I was seeing someone else and started to try to win me back, letters texts etc.. This went on for few months and made me really think about who and what I...

I really miss my ex [ 31 Answers ]

Ok, I was dating a guy for almost 2 years. He isn't my first love but my first proper relationship, physically and emotionally. For almost 2 years things were amazing, we had our fights, obviously, but I was always grateful of him, I could never believe my luck that I had him. However, we both did...

1994 Civic - Check Engine "Orange" lamp and Engine revs when idling [ 1 Answers ]

Two questions realting to my Honda Civic ESI - 1994 model. 1) When I turn on the ignition key there is a Check Engine lamp displayed in Orange which is remaining On for progressively longer. Car not be started until this light disappears. Eventually after 3-5 seconds light turns off and engine...

I miss them [ 2 Answers ]

I lost my grandchildren to a new family its so unfair that we can not have contact I understand they have a new life but what about us the grandparents does that sound selfish I miss them really bad:(

I miss him... [ 5 Answers ]

I dated him for about a year. (I later found out... )about the time he was going to propose I decided I needed to finish college, he left for the military to live out his dream. I didn't want to put myself or my career second for the rest of my life. It's now a year later. We've been emailing...

View more questions Search