Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angeldove60 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2010, 02:32 PM
    Get info from a closed adoption
    I am trying to help my niece. My sister gave her up for adoption and found her when she was 17. My sister died shortly after and my niece never got any information she wanted about her birth. It was a closed adoption and the lawyer will not tell her anything. She just wishes to know the basics, what time she was born, how much she weighed etc. None of this info for given to her adoptive parents. She had turned to me for info on the family, which I am gladly supplying, but some details I just don't have. How do we get this information??
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 02:46 PM

She could look at her birth certificate. That has the basics on it. The lawyer is correct in safe gaurding the information.

Sep 28, 2010, 03:16 PM

The birth certificate that they gave her has none of this info on it.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 29, 2010, 05:38 AM

That seems very strange--because the ONLY thing changed on an adoptive birth certificate is the names of the parents.

How old is your niece now?

Did your sister leave any of her medical records behind?

Sep 29, 2010, 05:52 AM

Don't see why it is strange, I have my birth certificat right here and it does not give time of birth, weight, etc. Yes, she did, but they will not release the info to my niece, she is almost 30 years old.
    Expert

Sep 29, 2010, 06:01 AM

Of course they won't. That's what a CLOSED adoption means.

I meant--did your sister have her OWN copies of her medical records?

The only way to open closed records is to get a court order for it to happen. The only way it generally DOES happen isn't for curiosity. It's for genuine medical reasons, such as the need to find a bone marrow or kidney match.

If your sister did not have the information her daughter is seeking in her personal papers, then your niece is not likely to get that information.

Sep 29, 2010, 06:09 AM

Whatever. I guess I came to the wrong place for advice. Thanks for not helping, but I found what I needed eslewhere. She just called, they are going to open the files. Guess you were ummm, wrong? I hope your negativity works for you.
    Expert

Sep 29, 2010, 08:09 AM

I'd like to know which state this is, and how she's able to get access.

As a birthmother, I try to keep up with adoption law, and I have YET to have heard of a non-life-or-death situation where the sealed records have been opened.

I would love to know the full details of how she got this information, because it's new law if you can just call and get the information off your birth certificate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to open adoption records on closed adoption [ 13 Answers ]

:confused: I am looking for my son I keep hitting roadblocks today I found out it was a closed adoption I need to know how to get these records opened

Closed adoption [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find my birth parents if it was a closed adoption in New York in 1975

Closed adoption [ 1 Answers ]

I have a notification of birth registration with my mother and fathers name and signed by the director of public health. But when I went to get a birth certificate for a passport they told me my birth certificate was sealed or closed.. is there a way to get this straightened out with the county?

Closed Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was adopted through a closed adoption. How can I find my birth mother?? There has to be a way. I am 21 years old. I do not know her name, age, or birth date. I do know the hospital I was born at and the attending physician. I also know she was of Irish-Norwegian decent. I have no real...

View more questions Search