Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ampacctg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 01:56 PM
    My Brother MFC 9840CDW won't copy but it will print.
    The machine screen states that there is a document jam, but I can't find any document jammed in the machine.
    Thank you
    NairobiPOD Posts: 21, Reputation: 4

Sep 26, 2010, 05:29 AM
    First of all, how old is the device? If it is less than 3 years it should still be covered by warranty, and you should contact Brother-Support to get free onsite service. Otherwise try the following:
    If you can print, but copying results in a Paperjam-Error the paperjam is in the document-feeder(where you enter the originals to be scanned).
    Try to copy from the flatbed scanner(glass). If it works the document-feeder is the issue.
    The feeder has several sensors(plastic-latches) to detect paperjams. Open the topcover, find the latches in the paperpath and check if they are blocked by paper-rags or staples etc. Also lift the feeder (so you can see the flat-bed) and check the lower side of the feeder. Also check the part where the scanned paper comes out. Also check if all the latches are moveable and go back into their original position (they are held by a spring).
    If you don't see any paper-rags etc. and the latches move, then it is a loose cable or defective electronics, in that case you should call a technician.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 26, 2010, 06:38 AM

There are two reasons to report a jam.

One, the obvious reason, a jam. The other, is not so obvious. Its because the paper did not get to a sensor in the correct amount of time.

For example, you have the input source loaded. If the page does not make it into the printer, then the first sensor it is supposed to hit, will trigger a jam report because it knows that the paper is not on time.

A quick test is to write the word "one" on the top page of the stack. Send a print job. Look in the paper tray and see if the page is still in the tray. If it is, then you have a problem with the pick rollers. Clean them off and try it again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my wireless Brother MFC-255CW printer not print right away? [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a Brother MFC 255CW Printer and it worked perfectly fine on my Windows laptop and my Mac computer at firt. After changing my wireless connection (I got a new network name and password) the printer prints but a day after I ask for a print. It takes forever for the print to come out...

View more questions Search