Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liddyplslacrosse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 10:08 PM
    My cat is acting strange...
    In the past month my 8 year old cat, liddy has been acting very odd. Specifically within the past week she has been very seclusive. She rarely comes when we call her.. and she almost seems to ignore us! My first though was to take her to the vet.. I thought she might be losing some of her hearing.. but as I observe her more and more I think its something different. Her eyes are almost always dilated and even if she's sitting right next to you and oyu make a loud nois, she'll only push back her ears. Not even turn her head and lok at you.
    This is very strange for her, she's surrounded with great tihngs, just me, my mom, and my dad. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

My dad mentioned something today making me slightly nervous.. he said he was listening to a religious radio station and that people were saying all animals had been acting strange lately. They thought maybe there was going to be some sort of tragedy... could this be true? Have other animals been acting strangely, too?
    mscassandra Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Dec 28, 2006, 11:47 PM
    Well the week before the full moon or the week of the full moon cats act different, so I'm not really sure if it's the fullmoon soon but look it up on your calender. It might also be that she is getting older and just wants to be left alone, animals are pretty much like people. The older we get the more cranky we are. She might just not want to be bother, sadly cats don't live forever :(
    pennybot Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Jan 3, 2007, 05:54 PM
    Cats can live up to 20 nowadays so 8 years still seems pretty young to me.

Normally, I'd say something could have also spooked her which can pass after a few days or a week. But a month is a little long.

Although if more animals are sensing it, it makes more sense. Animals can sense weather like a barometer does. They are very sensitive to the pressure and can sense a storm or hurricane - that type of thing. Potential natural disasters will effect large areas of animals. IE: behaviour of birds or cattle when a particularly bad storm is coming. Though they usually sense it closer to the event rather than a whole month prior.

.. unless its this global warming thing? As far fetched as that may sound, it has affected a lot of animals globally. Certain bird species have been suffering due to their migration changes because of the sporadic weather changes in the last 6 months. But shouldn't assume too much.. where are you located? How close to sea level?
    tiggerella Posts: 184, Reputation: 13

Jan 3, 2007, 08:11 PM
    I hate to say this, but the thought about getting her to a vet was the best one. Working in a vet's office, I can tell you that there are several cats who've come in with birth defects like humans have, such as a deformed heart, and with diseases similar to those humans get, like diabeties. Most often, the dialated pupils indicate either something has gone wrong with the cat's eyes - such as some form of blindness - or they had a bad heart and have "thrown a clot", which has done something inside their brain that has caused the odd behaviors.

The good news is that, if you get the cat to the doctor, there may be a medication that might help bring your cat back to normal and let her live a full life. The bad news is that your cat may get worse if left untreated.

If money is an issue on treatment, check with your state on assistance. Many states have some sort of program for low income people with sick pets.

Good luck.
    DustyMiller Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2011, 03:42 AM
    Cats can feel like a lot of others that something is in the air. Dogs hear thunder way off before we do and frogs flock by the thousands before an earthquake and of course Rats on ship know when the boat is sinking. Most animals on one Island ran to higher ground when the tsunami hit the Indian Ocean.[/B] Here is a question that could answer all of yours. Why do 5 cats in northeastern Pennsylvana who acted normal as kittens playig and jumping and a loving momma cat of 9 years in a loving home as mine, not only started to act weird being seclusive all of a sudden, this past week, 3 females, 1 male of 5-6 months stop eating, almost completely stop and it scares me. They hardly eat the dry food which they eat as last resort if they don't like their 9 lives combo meals. Chicken and egg and beef are their favorite. Now no one is barely eating. They are crouching down on the floor on all fours looking and waiting for something to happen. Their tails are down and look so sad. There are no signs of them in heat and the only activity they seem to have is smelling each others butt. All of them including the Mother who is 10 are waiting for something What is it? There is no one to wait for but me and I am here and I pet them and scratch their bellies and yet they look like their zombiefied. The house is so quiet as if I have no animals at all. Could it be the rain water and the radiation that is coming down. Any body else have my problem?
    lisia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2012, 11:56 AM
    Yes, the rapture is a'comin'!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

Doxie acting strange [ 2 Answers ]

About 4 weeks ago my 4 year old mini-doxie, Daisy, started acting strange. She wouldn't do the stairs, get up on her hind legs, or walk around too much. We took her to the vet and he told us that she probably hurt a muscle in her back and gave us some cortisone pills to give her. 3 days later...

Kitten acting strange [ 2 Answers ]

This past weekend my husband and I took our kitten with us to my parents house. They have two adult cats who didn't seem aggressive toward my kitten but were not openly friendly either. They left her alone unless they thought she was invading their space and then would hiss. Other than that we...

My friends are acting strange [ 13 Answers ]

I have been close friends with a girl 'C' for a good 10yrs. Her boyfriend 'R' I have known for a good 5yrs but we only became good friends earlier this year when his marriage broke up and he started seeing one om other friends 'E'. 'R' & 'E' did not work out and they decided to split. 'R' text...

Cat has been acting strange [ 1 Answers ]

I've just started noticing a change in behavior in my 6 1/2 year old cat. He found a spot under the bed where he spends almost his entire day, except to come out to eat. He doesn't come out as normal when I get up or come home from work, won't come out for treats, won't come when called and...

View more questions Search