Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edro1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2010, 07:17 PM
    Problem solving : using charts
    Brian earns twice as much each week as a tutor than he does pumping gas. His total weekly wages are $150 more than his sister. She arns one quarter as much as Brian does as atotr. How much does Brian earn as a tutor?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2010, 01:41 AM

Let's say Brian gets X amount of money on tutoring.
    He uses X/2 on gas.
    This amount is $150 more than his sister's wages. Hence, his sister's wages can be written as $(X-150).
    What she earns, is 1/4 of Brian's earnings, hence, it can be written as X/4.

Well, you have the sister's earnings expressed into two different ways... equate them!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you know when to use bar charts and when to use pie charts? [ 4 Answers ]

How do you know when to use a bar chart and when to use a pie chart in statistics?

Quadratic problem solving [ 2 Answers ]

The sum of a number and its reciprocal is 5 1/2. Find the number. Show your working out.

Problem solving [ 1 Answers ]

A ladder is leaning against a building so that the distance from the ground to the top of the ladder is one foot less than the length of the ladder.

Sign Industry Wind Load Charts, Sign Section Modulus Charts [ 0 Answers ]

Recently I've been designing commercial electrical signs. Signs of the type that are on tall poles, or the big pylons and monuments you see in shopping centers, roadsides, etc. lit by neon and/or fluorescent lighting. In order to properly choose the size of poles, and the depth and diameters of...

Inequalities problem solving [ 3 Answers ]

Brandon and Pat drove from Edmonton to Saskatoon a distance of 545km. Brandon drove the first part of the trip at an average speed of 100km/h, and Pat drove the remainder at an average speed of 90km/h. If the trip took Brandon and Pat 5.75h, determine the number of hours each drove. I'm so lost, I...

View more questions Search