Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mdcheng Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 06:26 PM
    Hot/ground reversed and 3-way switch
    While I was troubleshooting a hot ground reversed problem, I noticed that the three way switch when turned on would change the three plug tester plugged into those outlets that do not work from "hot/ground reversed" to "correct". When I go to the other three way switch and throw the switch, it returns to hot ground reverse. Even when the outlet shows correct and I plug in a nightlight that I know works, it does not work in the now "correct" outlet. Is this three way switch still part of my problem?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 04:09 AM
    Is the 3 way switching intended to control the outlet(s)? Whether it should or not, there is a miswire or a open neutral. I suspect a broken or open neutral ,that cause the outlet to read through the neutral, or something weird like that.

This is difficult to troubleshoot in a forum such as this. Best I can offer is to begin taking apart the wiring at each box in the circuit, to trace and note how the circuit is wired, checking for loose, shorted or miswired connections/splices. Begin at the circuit breaker and trace out the wiring, so a wiring diagram can be sketched, and then confirmed that it is correct.

If the switches are to control the oultes, and if one half is contrlled and one half of the duples is live all the time, be sure the small jumper on the HOT or brass side of the duplex is removed. Be sure the jumper on the Neutral or silver side of a split controlled duplex IS NOT removed..

Hope this helps some. If you decide to tackle this and have more questions get back here with them. If you are not knowledgeable of circuit wiring, you may need to call in a good service electrician to trace and troubleshoot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Ground/ Reverse [ 5 Answers ]

I have been struggling with an electrical problem for a while now: I spliced into an electrical line in the basement to create an outlet. I wired everything perfect using experience and a home depot manual. I kept getting a hot/ground reverse after purchasing several testers. Then it...

Hot Ground [ 2 Answers ]

A circuit in my basement has me puzzled. When I went to replace a light fixture, with the switch (that controls two fixtures) off I touched the ground and the white and got a spark. I tested (with meter) with switch on and off and got the following results: SWITCH OFF White to Ground 120 vac...

Hot/Ground Reversed [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Can you have lights and outlets coming from two circuits (i.e. two breakers from the main box)? Also how do you reverse the ground and hot wire? I am wanting to move a light switch... I went to the breaker box and turned off the power to that circuit. I proceeded to disconnect...

Hot and Ground Reversed [ 1 Answers ]

I went into a house today and my little plug in said I had a Hot and Ground Reversed. I popped open the box and took a look. Black to copper and white to silver. Everything OK there. Ground was present,terminated correctly and not touching the hot. My question is what is hot and ground reversed?...

Hot/Ground reverse on GFI receptacle [ 3 Answers ]

My screened porch has a ceiling fan w/light and a 2nd light fixture, both running off an outside GFI receptacle. In short, I ran wire from the GFI receptacle to a double switch box; one switch is wired to the fan fixture, the other switch is wired to the light fixture. All has been working fine for...

View more questions Search