Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leftwinga Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Dec 27, 2006, 09:01 PM
    New home cracking!!
    Im not sure if this is the right place fore this post... but here goes. We bought this house in September. It was a new home built on an existing foundation (old home burned down). Now normally I have been told of the "settling" that's to occur, But should everyjoint in the home be literally cracking?? I mean the corner joints all over the upstaors are cracking, the seams where 2 pieces of drywall meet arwe cracking... I have a 1 yr warranty with the builder, but of course , itstates settling isn't included... I want to know what exactly is considered" settling"... Am I being duped into thinking this is okay. If I wait too long.. who knows what'll happen? I had the builder here in early dec, because of a water leak, the drywall above the kitchen was so wet it was movable, his rresponse was that it'll dry and you won't see the creases anymore, but I do... I need help. If someone knows who I can call regarding this issue, I would greatly appreciate it. Ilike the guy and all, I will guve him another shot, But I want to make sure he isn't blowing smoke up my when he tells me these things
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2006, 09:12 PM
    Hello left:

This is the place...

But, I'm just going to tell you to retain an attorney. You can tell him to give the guy another shot if you want to - he works for you. But, you've got a lot riding on this (probably everything you own), so you can't afford to mess around.

Shop around on the phone. You'll find one you can work with.

excon
    leftwinga Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Dec 27, 2006, 09:15 PM
    Well before I go all legal, I want to make sure this is in fact not normal "settling" as he calls it... by this end every damn corner will crack before next year... now this may not be a safety issue, it concerns me as to ones workmanship... thanks for the quick response
    giJ Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Dec 27, 2006, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leftwinga
    well before i go all legal, I want to make sure this is in fact not normal "settling" as he calls it...by this end every damn corner will crack before next year...now this may not be a safety issue, it concerns me as to ones workmanship....thanks for the quick response
    A home inspector should be able to tell you if it's normal settling or something more. You don't need a full inspection though you probably want one to see if there's anything else wrong. I had one last week and it cost about $200 and was very thorough.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Dec 28, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Have drywall contractor look at the joints. It may well be that you need a humidifier to put moisture back into the house since you are now using heat

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help, my new bathtub is cracking! [ 15 Answers ]

We had our bathroom remodeled in April of this year. A Sterling Acclaim 71091110-0 was installed by our contractor. Right after it was installed, we informed him that it was making loud popping noises when you stepped in it. Our contractor said it would go away. Well, it didn't and now it creeks...

Cracking and peeling paint... Help! [ 2 Answers ]

We are currently doing up a rental property in return for cheap rent with option to buy. The interior paint is cracked and peeling in many places. The paint that peels off is 1.5 mm thick. What is the best way of preparing the walls for painting? How much should we scrape off? I'm worried that if...

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

View more questions Search