Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ShannonSteele Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2010, 08:47 AM
    Is it a HIPAA violation for me to sign onto a web site using an employee's password?
    I have been asked to sign on as employees to print off tests they take, but in order to do this I sign on using their user name and password. Am I breaking HIPAA by doing this?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2010, 09:12 AM

Key question here... did they give you the passord and ask you to do this for them? If they did as I asked then they will have expressed consent.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 13, 2010, 09:42 AM

In what capacity are you doing this? Are you an employee of the health care provider? What tests are you printing? Does the information being printed identify a patient by their names? Are you revealing the info in those tests to anyone else?

On the face of this, it doesn't appear to violate HIPAA. It appears you are doing this in the course of your work for the medical provider and, unless you are revealing the info to a 3rd party there would be no violation. HIPAA prevent a medical provider or an employee of one from revealing info about a patient's diagnosis and treatment to a 4rd party without permission.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA violation [ 2 Answers ]

I told my boss I had a medical appointment three days in advance. My boss called me on the day of my appointment and asked me if my appointment was for a pap smear! I felt very violated and could not even look my boss in the face after. What can I do about this?:confused:

HIPAA Violation? What to do? [ 3 Answers ]

My sister had a recent hospital stay and when she received the bill in the mail they had printed her SSN along with the name and address? Is this a HIPAA violation? Is there anything she should do to protect her credit, or should she make any demands of the hospital? When she called the hospital...

Is this a HIPAA violation? [ 3 Answers ]

If a medical Transcriptionist speaks to a patient whom he knows casually - And about whom he has transcribed a chart note - about that patient's physical condition, is the Transcriptionist in violation of HIPAA? . The patient did not directly tell the Transcriptionist about the physical condition...

Setting up web site and web shop [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys. Can anyone tell me the best way to set up a web site with web shop. I have looked online but overloaded with conflicting information. What things do I need and in what order?

View more questions Search