Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dnandoo Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Sep 13, 2010, 05:36 AM
    2008 Server and RAID configuration
    Hi,

I'm creating a storage server with Server 2008 Std. and it has 8 physical drives that are 1 TB each.

I would like to have a C: drive partition that is 30GB and the remaining drives as another partition.

What would be the best RAID configuration to apply?

I put this under this section because 2008 server I believe has limitations on the partition size.

Thanks in advanced
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 13, 2010, 05:49 AM
    Are you going to be running 32 or 64 Bit version, as it makes a difference ?

With 32 bit there is a maximum depending on sector size.
    2TB is a limit imposed by the MBR partition table, assuming the disk uses 512 sectors. If the sector size is increased to 4K, the limit becomes 16TB.

Anyway for a server, RAID 5 for redundancy.

Will give you about 6 Tb total storage.
    dnandoo Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Sep 13, 2010, 05:53 AM
    Comment on Curlyben's post
    I was going to use 32 bit version.
    How can I increase the sector size?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 13, 2010, 06:01 AM
    Please leave follow up comments as a new post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resize RAID 10 partition on Windows Server 2003 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone! Please help me! Never done it before so I want to know how to start. I have DELL PowerEdge 2850 Server with 4 SCSI disks RAID 10 Array and Windows Server 2003 SP1. I need to resize the boot partition (C:) NTFS because is too small (4 GBytes). Also, I have other 3 partitions (NTFS)...

Can I create partition in Raid 5 with Windows 2003 Server OS? [ 1 Answers ]

Elo... How can I create a partition in Raid 5 Controller with Windows 2003 Server OS without any losing data and configuration? Thanks in advance.

Software RAID configuration is helpful compared to hardware RAID in any of the cases? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Software RAID configuration (Dynamic Disk) is helpful compared to hardware RAID in any of the cases? I haven't seen Software RAID until now. Just wanted to know the pros and cons regarding this. Thanks in advance, Vathsa

RAID Configuration on Dell Dimension 8400 [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I want to wipe my main editing machine and put a RAID0 configuration on it to help boost performance with large video files. I currently have (1) 160GB and (2) 300GB SATA hard drives. The 160GB currently has the system files on it and the others are for storage. How should I...

View more questions Search