Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cowgirl13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2010, 11:13 PM
    Litter train an adult cat
    My mother had a stray cat come to her house and have kitten's. We are very animal friendly so we keep all the cats we couldn't give away. Needless to say one of the cat's we keep was a female who after almost a year got pregnant. She only had two kittens. One died the other I brought home when it was ready! Well my husband who has a bigger heart surprised me with the momma cat. Keep in mind this cat has been living outdoor's all her life and now she has to use a litter box due to use living in an apartment. Neeless to say she will not use a litterbox, the kitten will but not the momma. What do we do? I'm tired of picking up and scubbing. I have a small child who I am afraid will accidentally get into the mess. Help please! I have a big litter box and all...
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2010, 11:33 PM

Three things come to my mind. One, that she doesn't like using something other cats have been in. When you have more than one cat, it's good to have a box per cat. Doesn't mean they'll call dibs on their own or something, but if there's a different one, she might use it. (And keep them cleaned out daily. Cats are very clean creatures, so this not only respects the cat, but some cats get very picky about less than clean boxes.)

Try a different litter. Sometimes cats just don't like whatever litter you're using.

It also may not be about not using the box, but more about wanting to mark her territory all over the house. For something like that, you may want to try a thing called Feliway. The spray works best. Worked pretty well for my one cat - in her case cause she was marking areas where she was ticked that the other cat seemed to have taken over. But it can work for a variety of things. (It's expensive, but a bit cheaper at like eBay or Amazon.)

Which reminded me -- once she's gone some place, she'll smell it and maybe decide that's the place to keep going. You might want to get something like Nature's Miracle to help clean the smell out. You might even try putting a box near one of those places - maybe she'll come to associate the smell with the box and get the idea. Then you can slowly move the box where you want it and hope she follows it. (That's kind of what I do with new cats - make sure one is out in an easy spot and slowly move it to its home in the basement.)

But I'm out of ideas past that. I'm sure someone else will have more.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 10, 2010, 01:14 PM

Morgaine's ideas are all very good. And I don't really have a lot to add to them. I will say that a big part of litter training is picking the cat up and putting them in the litter box every time you see them about to go on the floor. It takes time and patience and then a little more patience, and possibly a little more time.

Some adult cats can't/won't litter train. Either they don't understand the concept, or they just refuse to change how they've done something for their entire life. With cats, it's sometimes nearly impossible to tell which it is.

You've heard the saying, 'can't teach an old dog new tricks.' well, it generally goes double for old/adult cats.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any tips on litter box training an adult cat? [ 2 Answers ]

My kitty saga continues! We are going to try to litter box train the adult cat we took in. I want her to be as adoptable as possible. I put a litter box in her shed but so far she has not used it. The kittens haven't used the paper I put down, but that may be because they are so young. Any...

Adult male cat won't use litter box [ 4 Answers ]

I have an adult male cat who refuses to use the litter box. He is three years old and has always used the litter box only when he feels like it. However, lately he wont use it at all. He does know how to use it because I have seen him do it before. I have tried getting a second litter box and...

How do I teach an adult cat to use a litter box? [ 2 Answers ]

We have a six-year old cat that has always been an indoor/outdoor cat. He has a cat door that allows him to come and go anytime. We will soon be moving to Florida where he must become a totally indoor cat. How should we address that issue? Should we attempt to convert him to a litter box now, or...

How to litter train adult adopted cat [ 1 Answers ]

We have adopted an 8 year female cat that has never been litter trained since she has been an "outside" cat. How do we get her to use litter?

Adult cat changed litter tray habits-help! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have had my cat since she was a kitten, she is now anout 1.5 years. She has always been excellent at using her litter tray and 'going' out side until recently. There is a cat that come into the garden that scares her and I understand this might put her off from 'going' in the garden all...

View more questions Search